OS upgrades

I'm still searching for more speed from this desktop , and have plans to upgrade to a Phenom X4 CPU and go to 64 bit XP Pro . I know that the processor upgrade and BIOS update won't affect my programs and all that , but what about the 64 bit upgrade ? Am I going to have to rebuild this whole set of programs , address books , bookmarks , etc ? Not that I don't have all the software , but it's a pain in the ass and time consuming to do all that .
--
Snag

Upgrading from 32 to 64 bit will require a complete rebuild of the system - save all your data and make sure you have all your install disks. Running 1 program at a time you will see NO performance improvement. If you don't increase the ram you will see no improvement. If running multiple programs, and you put in more than 4GB of ram, you will see a performance improvement. You'll see a lot more improvement going to Windows 10 32 on 4GB of ram. I've got it running on an ATOM powered ZG5 Acer Aspire One netbook and it is significantly faster than the XP it came with., with only 1GB of ram.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

If you want to see an even faster box, give Linux a try. I've got one box left that actually runs Windows (XP) as it's native OS. I fully intend to convert the last remaining non Linux machine on this network to linux. And keep various flavors of Windows as VMs only; for technical support and repairs. I'm a certified computer tech (with two honorary masters) by trade, so I'm forced to keep Windows around to provide technical support for clients. The remaining ones that aren't ready/possibly never will be ready to goto greenier pastures. Linux is so much easier to maintain and support from malware/browser hijack POV. While it's certainly not impossible to hijack a Linux box, it's much more difficult than it is a Windows (pick a flavor) box.
Currently, I settled on Linux Mint v17.3. I have some running MATE's desktop, and others running KDE. KDE spoils me. I'm waiting until the v18 series matures a bit more before I take the plunge, because with the KDE boxes, there's no simple upgrade path. It's copy your stuff to external media and reload. An upgrade path supposedly exists for Mate, Cinnamon, Xfce, etc, but another poster who runs one of those reported that for whatever reason, his machine cannot go the simple upgrade route either. He's 'stuck' like my KDE boxes.
--
Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are
too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get
On 04/02/2017 08:58 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

The 64 bit will be a clean install so prepare for a pain in the ass.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?idE03&e6b34bbe-475b-1abd-2c51-b5034bcdd6d2=True&fa43d42b-25b5-4a42-fe9b-1634f450f5ee=True
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3179/migrate-xp-to-windows-7-with-easy-transfer-and-a-usb-drive/
They're talking about XP to 7 but it should work for XP to XP. Your 64 bit install will have two directories;
C:\Program Files C:\Program Files (x86)
with the 32 bit installs going into (x86). To further confuse the issue
C:\Windows\system32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64
With fantastic M$ logic, the 64bit dlls etc go into system32 and the 32 bit ones go into SysWOW64. WOW64 -- Windows (32) On Windows 64. Think of it as an emulator for the 64 bit machine to run 32 bit binaries.
All your 32 bit stuff will run but I don't think it will be too pretty getting there. We've got a few boxes left that have XP32 running on 64 bit hardware and XP64 on 64 bit hardware but we've never tried to migrate a 32 to 64. Actually if you don't have more than 3GB of RAM and less than 1TB disks you're not buying much as far as I've ever been able to tell.
rbowman wrote:

Well , if it's gotta be a clean install I might as well start off with a clean hdd ... and I have a new 320 WD on hand for it . The Plan is to bump this mobo ( Asus M2A-VM) to the max 8 Gb RAM with 4 x 2 Gb sticks , switch to a Phenom X4 2.3 Ghz processor and update the BIOS . I just built one on an Asrock N68C-GS4 FX with a 1.8 Phenom/4Gb/32 bit and an hdd that already had XP Pro loaded and it seems significantly faster than this 2.6 dual core Athlon . That one is going to my shop to replace the one that died recently . All but that last one are boxes that are older than 10 years , with no significant upgrades since they were built . It's not that this one won't do the job , it just isn't fast enough any more with the more graphic/data intense web sites . It's just the same as your "stuff" expanding to fill all available space , as capability increases they will expand to use it . Oh , and I've got a couple of 1T drives for storage , seemed like I needed the space for my "stuff" ...
--
Snag

If you are going to go to all that, you may be better off going to ebay and buying a whole computer. Get one with a faster processor and more memory and win 10 already on it. I have not checked lately, but about a year ago I wanted to get the win 10 for free, so bought a computer with win 7 pro on it and upgraded to win 10. Now the free upgrade is out of date, you should be able to fine a computer with win 10 already on it. If you want to stay with XP you can probably find a fast xp computer. Eithe way will probably be less than $ 150.
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 10:23:52 -0400, Ralph Mowery

That was my first thought .. .. buy a $ 99. desktop < Canadian dollars ! > with Win 10 Pro 64 bit - here's just one example ..
http://www.eco-techrecycling.com/pcsales.php
John T.
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

What y'all are not understanding is that I don't want W10 , I wish to stay with XP Pro . I MIGHT consider going to 64 bit W7 Pro , but nothing newer . I have on hand a 64 bit Vista copy , but Vista was such a dog ... and a copy of XP Pro 64 bit is on it's way , should arrive today .
--
Snag

Ok on not wanting to go with win 10. From some of your posting you say that the main problem is with the graphics of the internet. The web sites and brousing programs are not supporting win xp to ammount to anything any more. That may be part of the problem.
You may have to go to win 10 to get programs that will work at speed. One reason I put a computer on win 10 is because Turbo Tax said they would not support win xp after last year.
You did not mention what speed your internet connection was at. Go to a speed test web site and see what kind of download speed you are getting. It many be that you are not getting the data fast enough.
On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 15:13:39 -0400, Ralph Mowery

Even FireFox doesn't support XP any more - and the Fox that runs on XP can't handle a lot of the new web content. GO 7!!!! Internet explorer 11, or the latest Firefox. Forget about Chrome.
Try it - you'll LOVE it. XP is TOTALLY yesterday's news on SO many counts.
On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 16:30:31 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That microsoft Kool Ade is some yummy stuff huh?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The thought has crossed my mind to go to Ubuntu ... I've messed around with it a little and liked it , but getting the wife on board for a major OS change has been problematic .
--
Snag

says...

That is the way I feel. I don't want to learn the OS either. I just want it to run the programs I want. Seems like that in order to get lots of programs I want to run, I have to do some edditing of the OS.
I am not new to computers, having had a TRS 80. and one of each of the IBM type processors except the 286. Skipped over that one.
When I got started seems like there was a push to get people to learn BASIC. I thought at that time, it was useless for most to know anything about that. Just learn the programs.
I had to learn lots of the systems in the first years just to get a sound card, modem, or a cd to even work. It was plug, look for jumpers, load in several driver type programs, and then hope something would work without screwing up another device.
On 04/03/2017 04:42 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

BASIC was Gates' revenge on the world...
Tue, 04 Apr 2017 03:03:01 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Heh. He stole it too.

Give Linux Mint a try. I'm running 17.3 KDE on most of my boxes, and MATE on a few others. 18.2 is around the corner, but, I'm waiting for the 18 series to mature a little more before I run it as a daily OS.
I had no trouble switching some family members from Windows XP over to Linux Mint. Infact, my support calls/time has been reduced as a result. They aren't getting browser hijacked and/or malware anymore. [g]
And, they aren't asking me a pile of questions about it either. It just works for them. No steep learning curve either, if you want to remain in the GUI and just use the machine for surfing the web, email, etc. Oh, and no crashes, etc. it's an awesome OS.
Only have one left that actually runs windows native. The Linux boxes run various Windows flavors in VM, to continue providing tech support for my clients.
--
Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are
too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get

I wasn't trying to push linux on him, but if he thinks he's just going to load 64bit Windows XP and everything is gravy, he might be in for a very rude awakening. Serious lack of drivers, for starters. If he's happy with XP and his wife just does general stuff then my suggestion will give him the most bang for his hardware buck, with little if/any retraining required by him. Not to mention, saving cash.
Apr 2017 17:21:10 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Hmm. Sounds like it may have been a driver issue. If it was actually hardware related, linux should have failed to work as well.

I had the coco3. [g] I did purchase the 512k expansion board. Installed it myself. Wasn't difficult, mind you. The only slight pain in the ass I remember about the setup was the FD-502 double deck floppy drive. If you added the secondary drive, you had to snip a resistor free. Otherwise, it wasn't a bad machine.

Pending no serious hardware issues, and a reasonable cpu (you didn't provide specs, so...), I would have likely repurposed it with another os for a dedicated task. Say a file server for the local network. Or, perhaps an audio/video playback machine. Like, a jukebox.
Tue, 04 Apr 2017 18:02:35 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

So you're both okay with the telemetry and key logging it performs? You can turn some of it off, but, not all. And, at any time, a 'windows update' may reset the settings back to default. IE: spyware functions restored. You may want to take a closer look at the service agreement you accepted as part of the installation process.
http://www.networkworld.com/article/2956574/microsoft-subnet/windows-10-privacy-spyware-settings-user-agreement.html
And then you have seperate issues with the new 'edge' browser.
http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/windows-10s-new-browser-microsoft-edge-improved-but-also-new-risks/
https://www.howtogeek.com/269331/how-to-disable-all-of-windows-10s-built-in-advertising/
Do you really like the idea of advertising built into your OS? Free upgrade or paid edition makes no difference...I personally think we deal with enough advertising in our faces just by surfing the web.
I've been using Linux Mint locally for nearly a year now and it hasn't foist a single piece of advertising on me yet. Most of the computers on my network now run Linux in one flavor or another. I'm about to build another box for file serving needs of the network. I may run Cent7 for that one.
I also have various flavers (versions) of Windows running in VM so that I can continue providing tech support without actually having to purpose a specific machine for the task. I'm not trying to convert you or anyone else though, Despite the stabiliy offered with Linux Mint that has ben missing from MS offers for years.
You don't need to go thru all that hassle to use the drive externally. I have several USB based drive connection kits that allow me to take IDE and sata as well as the laptop interface version of the same and turn the drive into an external. They come in quite handy for diagnostics and repair outside of the machine, itself. Especially useful for malware and data recovery. Without the host OS being operational to try and thwart my efforts, depending on the malware in question.
On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 1:06:25 AM UTC-4, Diesel wrote:

Whatever they are logging, it's no worse than what goes on with a smartphone and most of us live with that.

You don't have to use the Edge browser, you can use whatever you want. The Edge browser is half-baked, I use Chrome instead.

What advertising? I don't see any more or any less advertising than I did with Win 7. And what's there comes up in Chrome, not Win 10.
Free

And that's all I see with Win 10 too.