OS upgrades

Don't need an actual Amiga for that, either. Emulation. You may want to check it out. I'm playing Mike tysons superpunchout on one of my linux laptops as I write this (I'm between rounds. lol). My linux box obviously isn't actually an original 8bit Nintendo; which is what this game was originally developed for, and thinks! it's running on. [g]

Reply to
Diesel

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 08:25:36 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote in

Instead of an adblocker, try using a modified HOSTS file see

for info.

Reply to
CRNG

I haven't used RedHat since in the early 2000's when their release included a tweaked gcc and Python that broke stuff. If you wanted to build a kernel you had to get another compiler.

fwiw, I read yesterday that Ubuntu has given up on the Unity desktop and are going back to Gnome. Their phone/tablet version is also dead. Shuttlesworth drank the Windows 8 KoolAid but the users weren't buying it.

Reply to
rbowman

I've run a CP/M emulator but never had an Amiga so I have no interest there. Apparently CP/M is easier to emulate than Android; that emulator used to be a real slug.

Reply to
rbowman

Looks like I've opened a can of worms here ... I have purchased a COA and disk for 7Pro /64 , which is what the wife's laptop (Lenovo/I5) is running . The only thing I'll lose with that OS is Outlook Express , which I really really like . I may move to Outlook if it will run in 7 ... That copy of XP/64 is probably going in a new build on an Asus N68C-GS4FX motherboard with a Phenom X4 2.3Ghz . That box will become my media server , the current media server will either be a backup or I may give it to my grandson .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Whatever they are logging, it's no worse than what goes on with a smartphone and most of us live with that.

You don't have to use the Edge browser, you can use whatever you want. The Edge browser is half-baked, I use Chrome instead.

What advertising? I don't see any more or any less advertising than I did with Win 7. And what's there comes up in Chrome, not Win 10.

Free

And that's all I see with Win 10 too.

Reply to
trader_4

Depends on your definition of "supported". Firefox says you get security updates until Sept. And again, this is in the context of *upgrading* the hardware and/or software on an XP system with the intention of continuing to run it for the future.

Important - Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista

"Why is Firefox support ending for Windows XP and Vista users? Firefox is one of the only browsers to offer any support for Windows XP and Vista. Microsoft itself ended support for Windows XP in 2014 and will end support for Windows Vista in 2017. Unsupported operating systems receive no security updates, have known exploits, and can be dangerous to use, which makes it difficult to maintain Firefox on those versions. Firefox security updates for XP and Vista users will continue until Septemb er 2017, although new features will not be offered. In mid-2017, a final su pport end date will be announced based on the number of users still on Wind ows XP and Vista.

Reply to
trader_4

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 07:26:20a, Terry Coombs told us...

I don't unnderstand why you're even bothering with OLD technology, both hardware and software. I should think it would be time to advance to the 2nd decde of the 21st cenetury. It isn't really economically feasible to pursue jerryr-rigging all of this outdated crap. A machine with a decent processor speed, adequate memory, and fast hard drives would probably keep you going well into the next decade. Updating major sofware, particularly the OS. Windows 10

64bit is clearly the best that Windows has ever released, but you can only support it adequately with a decked out PC. Most software is still 32bit, but it will run much faster on such a machine, as well as heritage and/or vintage software. If it's too old to run with today's standards, then it's not worth keeping.

Clearly you are just playing games with all the old crap that you've accumulated, new "build" or not.

I have no sympathy for folks like you.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

You must not know much about calendars, it's already 2017.

"Important - Firefox is ending support for Windows XP and Vista

Why is Firefox support ending for Windows XP and Vista users? Firefox is one of the only browsers to offer any support for Windows XP and Vista. Microsoft itself ended support for Windows XP in 2014 and will end support for Windows Vista in 2017. Unsupported operating systems receive no security updates, have known exploits, and can be dangerous to use, which makes it difficult to maintain Firefox on those versions. Firefox security updates for XP and Vista users will continue until Septemb er 2017, although new features will not be offered. In mid-2017, a final su pport end date will be announced based on the number of users still on Wind ows XP and Vista."

I guess if that's reassuring to you, makes you want to invest in upgrading and running an XP system into the future, be my guest.

I was speaking of browsers in general. I've had plenty of experience with older browsers over the years no longer working with various websites. I'm running Win 10 and Chrome 99% of the time. I have seen problems with Chrome on XP on a spare notebook that I use once in awhile. But that was a year ago, I don't keep a log of which websites it was. But I switched to Pale Moon on that notebook, because of issues of compatibility and speed.

The original context here was *upgrading* a system with a new CPU, memory, etc with the intention of running XP for the future. That's a bit different than just changing out the entire OS just to change the entire OS.

Reply to
trader_4

I find it interesting that he's keen on upgrading the hardware, yet wants to continue to run a 15 year old, unsupported, OS.

I should think it would be time to

I'm running it and I agree. Win 10 is the best performing, most stable OS I've run. Very happy that I did the free upgrade from Win 7.

but you can

Reply to
trader_4

rbowman wrote: ...

if you need a dos emulator on linux dosemu has worked for me just fine when i've needed to run an ancient program (multiplan spreadsheet).

*goes and looks*

just fired it up, still works, but i don't really need it any more since i moved the spreadsheets to something more recent.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

And I have no sypmathy for people who put everything on a computer with an OS that's KNOWN to spy on everything you do . I don't do cloud storage , I'd like to keep my info MY info instead of putting it out there for anybody with the skills to hack . I don't have a "smart" TV for the same reasons ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 08:29:06a, Terry Coombs told us...

my computer is extremely well protected and I don't do cloud storage, either. There are numerous way to prevent a computer from sending ANYTHING back to Microsoft, or any other place. It just takes know-how and the proper software. Since my first computer in the 1980s I have never had a virus, or cookies or other software that transmit unwanted data outside of my machine.

There are many people with computers that are riddled with virus's and other malware, spyware, etc. I have no pity for them.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 08:29:06a, Terry Coombs told us...

In that case, you should probably never connect anything to the Internet.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

He mentions hackers getting into a system. Seems that hackers have gotten into and can get into just about anything that's connected to the internet. I doubt his 15 year old XP is any different or that a Win 10 system with AV software is any more vulnerable. I mentioned that IDK of any browser that's still supported on XP, you can probably add antivirus software to the list of things where less and less companies are supporting it too. I'm sure he'll reply and say that he has something that's still supported, but the list is rapidly diminishing.

The privacy issue, I too have turned off the settings available on Win 10 to decrease what MSFT has access to. Wonder if he has a smartphone? Seems to me that Win 10 is no worse than a smartphone and even on XP, if you use the typical search engines, etc, that is already sharing a lot of your info, eg what you're viewing, searching for, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

Sorry to hear it. Is any other entity trying to create/push a Linux cell phone?

nb

Reply to
notbob

I don't do cloud storage either and turned off all the data that MS wanted to collect in Win10 as it slowed shutdown considerably.

I don't see a microphone or camera on my smart TV and if there were a camera it is easily covered. I like it for Netflix and now find Comcast X1 system will work through wifi and brings Netflix to sets that are not smart.

I want to master the technology, not let it master me. As Wayne points out the only sure thing you can do is not to go online.

Reply to
Frank

None of my windows 7 or 10 installs use cloud storage, and my Windows

10 installs do not "call home" or share any information with Microsoft or other users on the network - unless I say so.

They can both be every bit as secure as Win XP or 98.

Reply to
clare

Most definitely NOT without a router. Connecting directly to a simple modem is just begging for trouble - particularly if youleave it connected, You want a minimum of a NAS translator between your computer and the interweb.

Reply to
clare

I wouldn't be so sure about that. AFAIK, My phone isn't running a keylogger on me. Nor is it snooping thru the files I have stored locally on it. Windows 10 does both. You do know what a keylogger is right? Checkout the links I shared, it's very interesting.

From the first url:

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

They aren't talking about your stuff stored on their email services either. They are literally talking about the things you stored on what you thought was YOUR PC. I'm not giving some company permission to peek thru my locally stored files whenever the f*ck they like. If you're okay with that, that's on you. Don't assume everyone else is.

Oh, yea. Chrome is a great choice if you don't like your privacy.

I'm not talking about the crap you see when surfing the web. I'm talking about advertising being provided to you via the OS itself. Hence, the link I posted above. If you haven't seen anything like that yet, you're in the minority. You likely will eventually, once the proper update has been applied.

Hmm...

Have you done anything specific to prevent it? If not, I don't know why you aren't seeing them. It's not exactly 'new' news here.

Reply to
Diesel