OS upgrades

I still have a Rat Shack CoCo2, totally customized, and a RatShack MC10 - also modified. They were my first 2 computers - the MC10 was supposed to go in the rally car but we couldn't find a useable small

12 volt screen for it and then we retired the car and team. It is modified to run off of 12VDC instead of AC (had to add a converter to add -12 for the RS232
Reply to
clare

The first spreadsheet I ran into was Supercalc that came bundled with the Osborne 1 CP/M box. I never figured out how to use in. Fast forward about 35 years and I have a spreadsheet in Libre Office. I still haven't figured out how to use the damn things.

Reply to
rbowman

Be forewarned the Outlook Express never had anything to do with Outlook. Personally, I use Thunderbird on both my Linux and Windows boxes.

Reply to
rbowman

The market says you're full of shit.

Reply to
rbowman

M$ published the list of the data they collect with the 'basic' telemetry. Read it and suck.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't know what Samsung is doing with Tizen these days.

It isn't well thought of.

Reply to
rbowman

I know , but it did include an email client . We use Tbird on the wife's laptop because Windows Mail sucks a big green one . My new desktop will too when it's finished .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

rbowman wrote: ...

not too hard, c'mon, formulas in cells... did you flunk algebra?

libreoffice calc is quite a step up from mp (after 30yrs i'd hope so).

the thing is that databases have things going for them that spreadsheets do not and vice-versa. luckily you can tie them together when needed.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Run Tbird that is , not suck a big grteen one .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I run Microsoftoffice Outlook 2007. Seems to be the sweet spot - much better than XP/03 and not as complex/fancy as 13 and above. I use Agent as a newsreader

Reply to
clare

I am a C/C++/C# programmer so if I want anything done I fire up gVim and start coding. I've personally never run into a problem that a spreadsheet would solve.

Most of my interaction with spreadsheets is because someone has submitted documentation in an xlsx file. The sad thing is there is no algebra or any other calculation involved. They just fill in the rows and columns with descriptions.

Reply to
rbowman

There are good uses for spreadsheets, documentation is a bad one. I am a programmer by trade too, worked for a printing company, I had a spreadsheet that converted paper prices which are sold per 100 pounds but delivered on the roll, into useful prices for 1000 sheets at various depths. Exported it to a database that my program read so it didn't need to go through all those calculations when a job estimate was required.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

You'd be wrong there...

Meanwhile, the Windows 10 Technical Preview Privacy Statement is indeed a scary document. It informs us that "we may collect voice information" and "typed characters."

Last fall, I discussed the keylogger that Microsoft openly put into the Windows 10 Technical Preview. The company admitted that "we may collect voice information" and "typed characters." At the time I defended Microsoft, pointing out that the Preview was "intended for testing, not day-to-day use," and that Microsoft recommended against installing the Preview on a computer with sensitive files. I said that "I seriously doubt that the worst spyware features will remain in the finished product."

I was wrong.

Microsoft pretty much admits it has a keylogger in its Windows 10 speech, inking, typing, and privacy FAQ: "When you interact with your Windows device by speaking, writing (handwriting), or typing, Microsoft collects speech, inking, and typing information "including information about your Calendar and People (also known as contacts)"

You may want to re-read the licensing agreement. It certainly does.

Lemme help you out with that.

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

Btw, I just copied it again! verbatim from the site. So, trader_4's previous comment that *I* was being dishonest is not true. That's exactly what's on the website from the url above. THEY NEGLECTED to provide the rest of it:

when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services.

They aren't talking about email here. They're talking about files stored locally on your machine!

Nothing to do with what I personally believe.

You seem to have me confused for that of a typical end user. I assure you, I'm not. Windows 10 certainly DOES spy on you in a variety of ways.

Turning on the Speech recognition setting allows Microsoft to collect and use your voice recordings to provide you with cloud-based speech recognition services in Cortana, in supported Store apps, and, over time, in other parts of Windows. As part of that service, we also collect information from the user dictionary created on your device. This user dictionary stores unique words like names you write, which helps you type and ink more accurately. Both the voice data and the user dictionary are used in the aggregate to help improve our ability to correctly recognize all users' speech.

That's from microsofts own website. Would you like to explain that away? Maybe, I'm just reading another 'scary' article, eh? :)

It actually retains your own voice recordings and sends them to Microsoft, and, DOES store words you write; IE: keylogger! As I said.

You're the one who clearly doesn't know WTF he's talking about here. Read the above again, directly from the horses own mouth. It DOES SPY ON YOU. Even provides ACTUAL VOICE RECORDINGS OF YOU TO MS!

One hell of a scary article from an unreliable source, isn't it?

Reply to
Diesel

When it might, possibly, end.

In approximately March, 2017, Windows XP and Vista users will automatically be moved to the Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR).

Firefox is one of the few browsers that continues to support Windows XP and Vista, and we expect to continue to provide security updates for users until September 2017. Users do not need to take additional action to receive those updates. In mid-2017, user numbers on Windows XP and Vista will be reassessed and a final support end date will be announced.

Reply to
Diesel

No, *I* didn't.

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

Check the url for yourself. What I pasted is EXACTLY what's there. I didn't cut off a damn thing! You just jumped the gun and falsely accused me of doing something *I* did NOT do.

And, it gets even better. See here:

Turning on the Speech recognition setting allows Microsoft to collect and use your voice recordings to provide you with cloud-based speech recognition services in Cortana, in supported Store apps, and, over time, in other parts of Windows. As part of that service, we also collect information from the user dictionary created on your device. This user dictionary stores unique words like names you write, which helps you type and ink more accurately. Both the voice data and the user dictionary are used in the aggregate to help improve our ability to correctly recognize all users' speech.

"COLLECT AND USE YOUR VOICE RECORDINGS"; Nice huh? Straight from Microsoft themselves, no less.

Except that *I* didn't do that.

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

See above. I didn't do what you falsely accused me of doing.

So the question is, will you man up and apologize for your false accusation?

Reply to
Diesel

Yep.

I believe that is correct. AFAIK, Only one can be 'active'. If that's what you mean. I don't think Linux follows this erm, rule, so...Someone more knowledgable than myself with linux could confirm that.

Reply to
Diesel

I didn't say you did. I was speaking generally. As in, *I* didn't make any such claims about Linux being a savior either way. No need to be snarky about it.

Reply to
Diesel

Inferiority complex?

Depends on who you ask, I suppose. I'll put it this way, I'm NOT an end user like you and trader seem to be. If you really must know more about me, I suppose the following links may help...

"Notes From The Virus Underground - Computer Viruses Are The Terrorist Threat Of The Digital Age. The Inside Story Of Who Creates Them And Why," Kim Neely, Rolling Stone, Sept. 16, 1999, ff. p. 65.

A member of the VX group Slam and one of the loudest, most unrepentant coders on the Net, RAiD is the kind of virus writer who makes antivirus workers - and often other virus writers - gnash their teeth in frustation. He's the guy who pops into the mind of PC users as they nervously scan their disks with AV software. Not only does he write viruses with malicious payloads, he also takes a fairly obvious measure of delight in watching them spread. I'm retired these days though, Have been for the past seventeen years.

I'm also the author of this:

Which is why Malwarebytes sent me an email one afternoon asking if I'd like to come work for them. Ever heard of the company or the program, Malwarebytes antimalware? I worked for them for a couple of years as an expert Malware researcher. My name is clearly visible on the about page in the early v1x series. I can post a pic of a screenshot, if you'd like. Or, you can go leech an ancient copy and see it for yourself.

I also wrote these things:

The ones I was allowed (zdnet wouldn't accept crypto) to submit to zdnet (back when shareware/freeware cdroms existed for SysOps) scored four out of five possible stars. I always managed to lose a star for less than stellar documentation. As, well, I'm a coder, not a docs writer.

I'm also a co-founder of a little known (rofl) ripping/hacking group known as HHI (Happy Hacker Industries)

We're 'kind of' popular in the scene.

I also hold two honorary masters degrees in computer science and program design; the first one achieved when I was but 18 years or so old. As well as being Comptia A+ certified since June 2000; grandfathered. I'm not bragging about this as well, you did ask...

I've been on a computer of one kind or another since I was five years old. I got my first one at the age of eight years old. A tandy color computer 3. I'm a bit of a dinosaur, you might say.

Do you have any more wiseass comments or questions you'd like to ask of me?

Reply to
Diesel

I just bought another one a couple of weeks ago, activation went off without any issues, no ID requested. I paid cash for it, I pay cash for the cards that reload it. Without showing ID or creating any account that requires verification...Perhaps I'm just not buying the right phone? :)

Reply to
Diesel

Most linux distros have a live feature. You can try it out without actually installing it. If you're a fan of XP (I am too), Linux Mint is not difficult to acclimate to. I've succesfully replaced XP on two laptops for my mom and brother with Linux Mint; they have no trouble using it. And, they aren't tech savvy people.

I'm not trying to foist it upon you, I'm just giving you viable options and I mean no offense by doing so.

Reply to
Diesel