OS upgrades

+1
Reply to
Diesel

Not with Windows 10. You can stop some of it, but, you aren't going to stop it all. Windows 10 doesn't allow applications the required low level access to do that anymore. You'd have to use another machine that can filter packets for you. And, you may piss windows

10 off depending on the amount of filtering you decide to do.

Heh, not exactly. You might wanna do some googling/duckduckgo whatever is your pleasure and read up on this. You are lacking information that you might find useful. You cannot block all data transmissions between Windows 10 and microsoft using apps on the Windows 10 box.

What's worse, you shouldn't have to do all that tweaking in the first place.

Er, that you know of with regard to the unwanted data transmissions. For example:

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.

They aren't talking about your stuff stored on their email services either. They are literally talking about the things you stored on what you thought was YOUR PC. I'm not giving some company permission to peek thru my locally stored files whenever the f*ck they like. If you're okay with that, that's on you. Don't assume everyone else is.

You cannot load a single piece of software on that machine that will stop MS from doing what they disclosed. That information travels right past your Windows firewall/3rd party firewall without even glancing back. Windows 10 does NOT ALLOW apps the required low level access anymore. It's at the KERNEL level now. You can't touch it, and nothing you run software wise can either.

I have pity for some, because, they just want to use the machine and have no idea how it works under the hood or what risks they are taking. I don't blame them for this.

Reply to
Diesel

That's a rather ignorant statement to write...Not all OS's, apps, hardware, etc, do the spying on the user thing. And the internet itself isn't responsible for what some vendors have chosen to do, either.

Reply to
Diesel

That is the way I look at it. Don't do anything on a compuer that is connected to the internet that you would not do on national TV prime time.

About 20 years ago my wife took out a credit card at a store. I think it was Pennys, but could have been another. They got a letter out of place on our last name. To this day we still get about one or two advertisements from other places with this same misspelling.

I did find a program or two that is suspose to let me turn off much of the MS data collection on Win 10. I doubt it does much, but it may cut some of it out.

I just gave up worring about the data collection and just accept it as a fact of modern computing.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Hilarious!!

Reply to
notbob

How does 10 deal with pulling the plug and then plugging it back in? (no "shutdown") That is the way my jukeboxes and TV PCs run.

Reply to
gfretwell

Government collects metadata, i.e. a list of all your calls, but I heard one ex-government employee say they save all your calls. If you want to hide and hole up you do what Bin Laden did and don't do any electronic communication. They will get you anyway.

Reply to
Frank
[snip]

Floppies do have boot sectors, but no MBR (single partition only).

USB sticks usually do have a MBR, although I've heard of formatting one as a floppy (no MBR).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I just tried it. No problem.

Reply to
Vic Smith
[snip]

Most of my stuff is NOT on Windows 10 (or 8). I have Win 10 to verify that my website works on Edge. Also, I will probably be asked to help someone with it someday.

I'm using Linux for most things. The few that require Windows are on 7.

I don't either.

I have one, but have never connected it to the internet.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I suppose that's NAT. Yes, I'd always use a router, at least except for a few seconds to determine if the router is the problem.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

How many years was XP out, around 15 and it still had to have security updates. Hard telling how many 'bugs' there are in win 10 not counting the known built in spy ware.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 09:22:44a, Oren told us...

Maybe you should kill the cow.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 09:54:21a, told us...

I have used a router for years and it handles both of our computers. IN addition, I've taken every measure possible to configure my software to eliminate communication leaving our computers. Both of our computers are connected 24/7 and we've never experienced a problem.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 10:20:06a, told us...

It depends on a setting. You can select to automatically restart the computer or leave it turned off.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Nice job at taking something out of context in an attempt to deceive. You just cut it off, right in the middle of a sentence.

that last part actually reads, when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to protect our customers or enforce the terms governing the use of the services."

But it's so much better when you leave that last part off, right?

Nuff said.

Reply to
trader_4

I've had the power go out in the house several times with Win 10 running and no problems at all. Started right back up, no issues.

Reply to
trader_4

While not the total solution, I bought a UPS that keeps the system powered up for about 10 minutes during a power outage. Long enough to do a short ammount of work and then a controlled shutdown.

Often if the power blinks around here the internet goes out. The cable people always tell me it is a fuse somewhere down the line. They sometimes send out an inside repair man, he checks it out and then has to call the outside repair man to fix the fuse. It takes out several houses, but for a long time seems that I was the only one on it and that is why the inside man always came first. They must have added a few others as the last two times the inside man did not come but the automated response on the phone said it was a wide area outage.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Well , lets see . In the last few days I've purchased a new OS (2 actually , XP Pro/64 and 7 Pro/64) , a motherboard , already had new SATA 320Gb and

1Tb hard drives , bought RAM , a new processor , new DVD burner and power supply , but I guess you must be talking about the older case I'm putting it all into , yeah yeah that's it , the case is the "old crap" you're referring to .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

This is just normal operation with these 3 machines. They power up and down with the TV or amp they are connected to. I do have "start up after power failure" set in the BIOS.

Reply to
gfretwell