Dewalt DW423 - Bypass Speed Control - Convert to Single Speed (2023 Update)

I have a Dewalt DW423 random orbital sander that no longer has continuity between the power switch and the brushes. A quick search turned up two online opinions that the speed control fails under use and that it is best to by-pass the speed control and convert the sander to a full speed machine. See:

do not find it intuitively obvious how to do this.

Has anyone made this conversion who is willing to describe how to bypass the speed control?

Thanks

Reply to
baumgrenze

I did this on my Dewalt router until I got a new control. It was the wheel type and had 3 wires, One was the hot from the on-off switch and one went to the brushes. I forget what the other was but I ignored it and connected the two other wires. Lost the soft start feature until the new control was installed.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Dewalt service data is at

You have to register to get access to parts lists. This module is listed at $42! And it's back-ordered. (I wonder what it cost before B&D swallowed Porter Cable...)

The speed control module (with the speed dial on it) has three wires. Two carry power for the motor (one in, one out) while the third wire is connected to the other side of the power line to sense voltage. Trace the circuit and you should find the power path to insert the jumper into.

Before you plug it in, I'd turn the switch on and measure the resistance across the plug terminals. Zero ohms means you've got the jumper in the wrong place. Infinite ohms means likewise.

Good luck,

Tim

Reply to
tim124c41

Thank you Gerald and Tim!!!

Before lunch, my wife encouraged us to purchase the latest version of the Dewalt ROS single speed (the D26451K). It comes with a 3 amp motor and is slightly more than 10% heavier than the previous models. The palm grip is slightly oval shaped and is perhaps slightly easier to grasp.

I tried an experiment on the dust bag. I coated the joint between the cloth and the plastic and all of the seams with black plastic tool dip until there was an obvious plastic layer on top of the cloth. Time will tell if this works as effectively as the duct tape approach advocated by others.

For what it is worth, I have found that if I dampen the O-ring that grips the dust bag adaptor before I install it, it is much less likely to drop off.

After lunch I converted the DW423 to single speed as per my reading of your suggestions. In fact, I unsoldered the speed controller from the leads connected to it. I connected together the neutral leads which entered one side of the controller and covered them with shrink tubing. Then I connected the leads from the power switch and brushes in a similar fashion. The machine now works again, just as you said it would.

Reply to
baumgrenze

[...]

I do not find it intuitively obvious how to do this.

Looking at the sander from above, locate the three fasteners holding the round black housing. Use a torx screw driver to remove the fasteners. In my case the fasteners could also be removed with a 1/4 inch wide, flat screw driver.

The speed control unit sits at the 9:00 o'clock position and can be released by gently pulling up on the circuit board.

Two wires are connected at each end of the circuit board. A black and white wire next to the power off /on switch and two white wires at the power cord end.

Using side cutters, cut off the wires as close as you can to the circuit board.

Reconnect the two white wires at the power cord end.

Reconnect the black and white wire at the switch end.

Tuck these new connections out of the way, put the black housing in place and reinstall the 3 fasteners.

You should be good to go..

Reply to
Gordon

replying to Gordon, Tonywall wrote: Thank You so very much Gordon. You got me out of a pinch with these precise instructions. Much obliged.

Reply to
Tonywall

Can you do this for me. My speed control went out.

Reply to
JaeWill

Sure, bring it over after dinner.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No. I can't help keep homemoaner's open.

Reply to
krw

My de Walt sander has one white wire wired into a block from the main blue and prowl power cord and the other side is a black and white with one going to the switch . How would I do away with the speed controller. Thanks

Reply to
Sean