Furnace fan speed

Can anyone tell me if a furnace is factory set with the fan speed on high? I have Armstrong(Lennox) Ultra80. Its installed a 2 story home around 3000 sq feet. The manual does not state what the factory set speed would be and don't want to mess around with the fan controller board unless I have to, not even sure where its located.

Reply to
TigerPaw40

Why are you asking?

It seems like an odd question. My guess is your question is more like "What speed should my furnace be set to?"

Normally the answer to the question as you put it, will not be very useful.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The manual wont tell you a thing. The INSTALLATION manual, that should have been left on the unit, or near the unit by law (at least here) tells how to set the fan speed based upon static pressure readings..you dont just go mucking around with furnace fan speeds. Most all modern units have a multi tap motor, meaning you have more than one speed, normally they come with a 3 or 4 speed motor, and they have default settings based upon what would be considered a proper duct system installation. They allow speedup, or slowdown, based upon the DUCT characteristics, and heat rise, among other items...and not for on the whim adjustments. Normally, in all cases, your AC will use a higher speed than the heat, unless its a heat pump, and of course, yours is not. Your thermostat will have the ON setting controlling a fan relay, and THAT will be on the high setting as the same relay will be the one that is activated when the AC is turned on. So, if you are using the unit to move air, with the thermostat set to ON, and not AUTO, when the furnace fires, it will continue, in most cases, to use the high speed setting. This can, have a few disadvantages, such as reduced heat output since the heat exchanger can not get to its proper temps, and increased wear on the heat exchanger due to increased condensation IF the upper limits of the heat exchanger stay cool. Also, the unit will never get to its rated 80% AFUE.

Couple of things come to mind...you have ONE unit, for 300SF...2 story home....ugh. Its a cheap way to heat and cool a home, but the prefered method in the case of 2 story homes is a set of units...one for the lower floor and one for the upper.. Second thing is that with only one unit, (you didnt state size) you are going to have some pretty big temp swings if the duct was not sized for this layout properly. Most are not.

Reply to
CBhvac

heat is set to low and air cond to high

Reply to
LeNoXx

Thanks for the reply, it was unlike most very informative. The reason I ask is that the furnace fan just does not seem to blow very fast. The vents in the bedrooms upstairs seem like the air flow is very light. In my old house the furnace seemed to blow much harder. The furnace is a 125000 btu. The manual does show how to set the fan speed at low or high by moving jumpers. I will try the suggestion of setting the switch on the thermostat to on. Thanks

Reply to
TigerPaw40

Hi, As simple as dirty filter can impede air flow. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

(The manual does show how to set the fan speed at low or high by moving jumpers.)

You might be wise to call a good tech. Don't make any mistakes when you change the jumpers.

The correct amount of airflow is critical to efficient operation of your heating and cooling system.

The airflow needs to be properly balanced to all the rooms.

If you get the blower set on high speed, and have dampers in the ducts, try adjusting them to balance the flow to each room as required.

Check the temperature rise. It would be wise to call a good heating & air tech for a thorough evaluation of your entire system.

Reply to
Stop Deception

Or poor ductwork. I've seen and heard about inadequate air return ducts. That's a common one.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon