Dewalt Router DW621K Speed Control Failure, again!

I don't know what to do now, I've had this router since August 02, and over the weekend the speed control burned out for the 2nd time. It's now stuck on HIGH.

It's now out of warranty (the first time it was a month out of warranty and Dewalt covered the repair). I doubt they would cover it now, and the speed control module is about $85 to replace it myself.

What would you do with this router? I'd hate to replace the control again and have it burn out for a 3rd time... Should I just get one of those speed controls which go between the router and outlet?

Reply to
Larry Bud

I had the same problem with a dewalt sander - after about 9 months, it seemed to be stuck on high. I found I kept lowering and lowering the setting, but it just kept turning faster and faster. And when I set the sander to it's fastest setting - I thought it was going to take off!

My buddy at the tool shop replaced it free for me, but the next one did the same thing in about the same time. I just gave up on DeWalt and I replaced it with a high-end bosch unit - great machine - I give it a workout, and it has worked perfectly for the past 2 years.

Personally, I would think about replacing the router with something made a little better - don't spend good money after bad. The variable speed controllers are ok for very occational use - they work by starving the motor of energy - eventually doing damage.

Brian

Reply to
B Man

Did you get a repair estimate from an authorized Dewalt repair center? Have you written Dewalt?

I had a very pleasant experience with Dewalt after warranty repair. I dropped my 18volt drill 10 feet onto the concrete and killed it. I acknowledged this abuse to the repair center. They said they replaced most of the guts of the drill, but what they really did was give me a new model drill (even the chuck and case were new) for $39 total.

I guess I can count my lucky starts. I have the 621 router (4 years old now) and never had a moment's problem. Maybe I don't use it enough.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

For about double the price of the switch you can get a comparable brand router. You know the old saying. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. That said, I have 2 Bosch routers 1 is 16 years old and the other is almost 6 years old and the only problems that I have had with either unit is with the switches early in the game. Are you by any chance over loading the router?

Reply to
Leon

center?

No, but I can order the electronic speed module for $85 online. It's easy to replace (I checked it out).

Reply to
Larry Bud

I suppose I could be over loading it... but shouldn't there be protection against that?

Reply to
Larry Bud

Do you know of any universal motors that have thermal protection? The only tool I have like that is a 20 year old 7.2 volt Makita right angle drill. If I over load it, a little button pops out. From there only a few of my induction motors have this protection feature.

Reply to
Leon

"Do you know of any universal motors that have thermal protection?"

Good point Leon.

Larry, what have you been doing with your 621? I've got one that is about 4 years old and never a problem. In fact I have 625, 12" SCMS, palm sander, biscuit joiner, cordless trim saw, 14.4V drill (and two of those at work), and an 18V drill. Never had a spot of problem with any of them.

Reply to
Dave

All I was doing was running 1/4" spiral bit 1/4" deep in white oak. It bogged down a little at a couple of points, but I slowed down, and it cut fine.. Never even had a burn mark.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I know very little about what features are on what motors. But I looked on Amazon and they state that one of the Bosch routers has "overload protection". I would think that's the same thing.

But it's not the motor that is dying, it's the electronic speed control.

Reply to
Larry Bud

That could simply be a feed back from the speed control switch. If the motor bogs down the switch feeds more current to speed the motor back up. If the motor slows or stalls it coud burn up. This is helpful but not a guarantee. If the motor draws too much current through the switch it could burn out the circuitry in the switch and or motor. Better would be to have an additional themal reset switch which you seldom see on universal motors.

If the motor is laboring too much and drawing too much current the switch could overheat and fail. Probably better than the motor itself. Or the switch design could be inferior.

Reply to
Leon