Dremel multi max tool: speed control out of whack

Hi, I've had a Dremel multi max tool for a few years, purchased from HomeDepot for $100. It's the kind with the vibrating head that cuts wood/metal/grout etc depending on the attachment you put on. The vibration speed is contro lled by a wheel that you can select from 0 to 10 (slow-to-fast). But latel y the wheel doesn't seem to work right and it speeds up and down of its own accord.

Has anyone experienced the same with theirs? Does anyone know of a reasonable fix, or is it considered a cheap tool and time to buy a new one?

Experienced opinions and advice greatly appreciated. Regards, Theodore

Reply to
millinghill

On Sunday, December 27, 2015 at 10:25:37 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote :

t for $100. It's the kind with the vibrating head that cuts wood/metal/gro ut etc depending on the attachment you put on. The vibration speed is cont rolled by a wheel that you can select from 0 to 10 (slow-to-fast). But lat ely the wheel doesn't seem to work right and it speeds up and down of its o wn accord.

d time to buy a new one?

Can the case be opened? If so, I'd try blowing out the area around the spee d control. Maybe you could even blow it out without opening it.

Could be dust build-up.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yeah there are thousands of posts regarding problems with the speed control.....planned obsolescence... I WILL NEVER BUY A DREMEL PRODUCT AGAIN.

Reply to
Cheekymonkees

Would you like to borrow mine? I've had it well over 30 years and it's doing just fine :-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett