Router Speed Control Problem

I just picked up a router speed controller similar to this:

I don't claim to be the sharpest pencil in the box but when I plug it in the FULL, OFF, switches work fine. The VARIABLE switch does indeed lower the speed of the router but the dial itself does nothing. I presume the dial should either slow or speed up the speed, but no matter what I turn it to the speed stays the same. I have two routers. One already had a speed control on it; the other does not and this new speed controller works on neither of them. Both routers are sears models, one of which is a commericial type single speed, the other has a variable speed built in. (Please be gentle...they were given to me so the price was right regardless of brand).

Figuring the controller was bad I exchanged it, but still have the same problem. So, I presume it's something about the routers themselves. As always any help is appreciated.

Reply to
Geo

Hi Geo,

I have a speed controller just like the one you linked to, and mine works fine. I've only used it with a Porter-Cable 690 router, but when I have the switch in the variable position and move the dial, it raises/lowers the RPM as you'd expect. I don't see how the actual identity of the router would matter, but it does seem peculiar that you got two controllers and they both act the same way. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Mike

I don't claim to be the sharpest pencil in the box but when I

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Haven't used one, but the one I looked at says it does not work with electronically contralled routers. That could be it.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

It's well known that they won't work with the router that already has built in speed control. But the other router, does it happen to have soft start? The controller probably won't work with that either.

I don't claim to be the sharpest pencil in the box but when I

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

An incandescent light may be safer.

I have a similiar unit, works fine on my Bosch.

I did a quick test and plugged a lamp into the controller. When set to full, the lamp was lit as usual. However, when set to VAR even on the highest setting, it wasn't that bright. On other note, the lamp (100w) buzzed when on the VAR setting.

I tried checking the voltage with my voltmeter, but, it's in need of a battery.

You can try that your self also.

Ron

> I don't claim to be the sharpest pencil in the box but when I

Reply to
Ron

I don't claim to be the sharpest pencil in the box but when I

I have a MCLS router speed control on a ryobi router that had a light in the base and when the bulb is in it will not vari the speed of the motor. if you remove the bulb i works fine.

Reply to
Thompson Family