Merlin Splitter

has anyone had any experience with this device. I have a jet contractor saw, and changing out the old guard and splitter is a real pain. any pro's or cons with the splitter. woodcraft sells it for a bit overy 100.00, is it worth the cash

for the imput steve.

Reply to
Steven C. Lund

I just installed one on my Exacta Saw. The only complaint I have had so far is that is is specifically for thin kerf blades, which I am not using. However, it does appear to work. (I got around to installing it when the 2x4 I needed to rip was pinching the back of the blade and I was quickly getting to a non-safe situation.) I stopped, installed the splitter, and then ripped the exact board with no further problems.

I should say that I got mine at 40% off. I wouldn't have bought it as readily at full price.

--Rick

Reply to
Rick Schmalzried

installed one 4 months ago on a Jet contractors saw.

The instructions were a little unclear but I worked through it. I did have to do some filing to enlarge the holes to align the mount properly. (this is stated as a possibilitiy in the instructions) It did require more filing than I thought it should. I also had to enlarge the cut in the throat plate and file back the splitter a bit to install the jet throat plate

Once installed it was fairly easy to align. It snaps in and out easily and is a joy to use. The only concern I have is how close the blade comes to the mount when a 10" blade is fully raised. I haven't checked, but it looks like thousands of an inch clearance.

All being said, I'm glad I purchased it and think it's worth the money and effort. I won't use the saw without the a splitter.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Johnsen