Carving Water Soaked Wood

I came accross a guy at a craft show last year (I think in Maryland) who was carving wooden utensils - one of a kind - from hardwood that he kept submerged in gently running water so that the wood became driftwood like - a terrific patina and really an interesting technique.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? I am interested in understanding the technique a bit better.

Thanks...

Reply to
Steve

Wet or green wood is a hell of a lot easier to carve than dry. I do a few hundred utensils a year, and my elbow doesn't even want to _think_ about hollowing dry hard maple. Now, if you want to keep it moist for carving, but free of growth which might happen on the nutrition sap provides, circulation would be good. Personally, I just stuff 'em into a paper bag when I'm carving for demos, and I only carve cherry, because it can take close quarters without mildewing for a day, anyway.

Not sure about the "patina" simple water might impart. If the piece were submerged, I'd say none. If there's something in the water, or if the piece is exposed to UV and drying damage, might eventually look like driftwood.

Reply to
George