My New Delta Saw

First of all I would like to thank those who responded to my inquiry about the Dewalt 746 Sliding table saw...your comments were all appreciated!

Upon reflection I didn't feel comfortable with this saw for the price...well over $2000 here in Canada (then add 15% tax on top) and also found it very curious that at a major woodwork show which I attended in my area (Hamilton) last weekend that not one dealer showed the Dewalt saw. All that being said I did have a saw follow me home from the show. After I had assessed my needs as a home workshop user I got realistic and decided that what I really needed was just a Delta type contractor saw.

Here's the interesting part...when I got to the show dealers were showing a new saw from Delta in their Industrial series. It's labeled in Canada as a

36-655. My understanding is that it is being test marketed in Canada before proceeding to the USA.

The saw is essentially a Delta Contractor with its' 27" x 40" CI top, a 1

3/4 hp induction motor 110/220, an upgraded box style fence and a floor cabinet as opposed to the open legs. 30" rip on right 24" rip on left. I couldn't believe the price they were putting it out at....$899 (Canadian). I couldn't resist!!! The dealer had them at the show to take home, soooooooo......one very heavy wooden crate and one long box later I made my way back home to try to sneak it into the house without wife finding out! (ya right!!!) Oh yeah...when I signed over my Credit card to the dealer and we had finished with the paperwork he also told me to take my choice of a Delta tenoning jig or an 8" dado set. Not Bad! They sell here in Canada for about $100)

The next day I assembled the saw and let me tell you how delighted I am with it. Nice smooth flat table, standard miter gauge but with an aluminum extension bar included, well running motor with all the power I need, a fence that amazed me with it's rock solid feel and accuracy, (complete with micro adjust) as well as a floor cabinet that actually allows me to have some control of the dust. (Looks terrific in the shop as well)

All in all I was very impressed with the fit and finish of this product. It assembled easily albeit requiring a little muscle for the CI wings and it performs as advertised! If in the future I ever decide to change the fence for any reason it is drilled to accommodate the Unifence or a Beismeyer.

Now... this is not a Unisaw X5 and I'm not embarrassed to say that as nice as they are they are out of my range pricewise as well as being overkill for my needs. If I were a pro using this 8 hours a day would I buy it...probably not. As a home user do I recommend this Delta Industrial

36-655...absolutely!

Just thought I'd put this info out about this new product as it doesn't show in any Delta brochures or on their website. However, if you go to the Delta Machinery website and type in 36-655 into their search section you end up with an Acrobat file which is the complete manual for the saw as well as a nice pic of it on the front cover..

Ken Burlington, Ontario, Canada (eh!)

Reply to
Ken in Canada

DIYGUY

Well, which did you get the tenon jig or the dado stack? It's a trick question so you better get it right.

KY

Reply to
KYHighlander

took the dado.... already had the jig

Reply to
Ken in Canada

that little extension wing is the only part i'm not thrilled with....won't be long before I fill that gap with a laminate table insert

Reply to
Ken in Canada

Wow! thanks for posting that.

They oughta do real well with that saw.

That fence looks like an updated unifence. ??

-Dan V.

big snip-

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Actually, this saw has been here ('Murica) and gone. This saw was marketed by Delta, and everywhere I think, and went under the number 36-755, 36-751 and 36-752. This was all in the last century mind you but the saw was absent from more recent catalogs.

I suspect that all Delta is doing is re-releasing it in the hopes that people will buy it over the butt ugly DeWalt and Jet saws.

On the Old WoodWorking Machines forum the saw (the old saw that is) is referred to as the Contractor'sSawInnaBox (CSIB) or by WantsaBeAUnisaw (WBAU). I'm glad you saw the distinction between it (contractor's saw parts) and the cabinet saw (Unisaw).

That is a good price. I occasionally see them on eBay and they have brought near that but I've always factored in the fact that the bidder thought they were buying a Unisaw. One unscrupulous (or maybe unknowing) seller even tried to pass it off as one.

It's true. There's nothing new under the sun.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I bought a new General a few years ago and my dad has become some what tool jealous. He has been thinking about upgrading his Rockwell/Beaver 9" table saw and I was telling him about the same saw you bought. Just wondering how you find the power from the motor and how is the dust collection on it.

Thanks

Scott

price...well

Reply to
Scott Frankland

Very nice saw, makes me almost regret buying the 36-650. Every time I buy a tool they seem to come out with a better improved version. The Bosch 10" SCMS is a good example. The 10" now has all the features of the new 12"....

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Martin

dust collection seems fine...ripped some 8/4 maple and had to slow the feed rate down a bit or I'd blow the breaker. Will probably change the wiring to 220 but I feel that it has all the power I need for home use.

Reply to
Ken in Canada

I'm in the same position as you in that no matter what I buy the next week or month I seem to see an upgrade...however, we can't wait forever or we wouldn't have any fun!!!

Reply to
Ken in Canada