Re: SEMI-OT - Another reason not to clean the shop

The roads around hear finally mostlly clear, except the part where

> my driveway hits the road. And, that's between two hills. So, another > day at home. But, even as I walked back to the house, from checking the > trash can, to see if the trash men had been by, they hadn't, a road > scraper came by, and made two passed on that one slick place. Aha, so, > I can get to town, if I can get out of the drive. > > When you come into my drive, it has a slope for 50 feet or so, then > it levels, then a short slope down again. I was parked on the short > slope up. Needless to say, with the crust on the snow, I didn't make > more then about 6 feet before I lost traction. No prob. Back up, and > into the shop. In about 2 minutes I had a plastic back with about 2 > gallons of sawdust in it. Spread about a gallon or so, where my rear > wheels would go, took off, and viola, instant traction. Once I got on > the road, and past the few slick spots the scraper had left, on my way. > Stopped at the bank, post office, store, sandwich place, and back home. > My son had been in and out of the drive several times with his 4X4 > truck, so made it up the first slope, no prob. > > Two morals here. One is, if I didn't have a shop, I would never > have had any sawdust to sprinkle. And, two, if I had cleaned the shop, > I would never have had any sawdust to sprinkle. > > Basically, life is good. > > JOAT > There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, it's > probably in Tennessee --that says, fool me once, shame on ... shame on > you. Fool me ... You can't get fooled again.. > - G.W. Bush quoted by the Baltimore Sun - Oct 6, 2002 > > Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT > Web Page Update 28 Jan 2004. > Some tunes I like. >
george

I'm not too far down the road either... In Honolulu... weather is a pain here, winds are from the north and there was an afternoon shower, the temp has fallen to 77 degrees... it's rough.

I grew up in Chicago and moved from there 27 years ago. I miss the snow/cold once in a while, then I go sit on the lanai for a while and enjoy my little piece of paradise.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

God I hate that when it happens! Greg (from Fargo ND, 17 inches of snow last weekend, -25F today! Working outside today, on a roof top!)

Reply to
Greg O

and than there was the night my shop cat got shut in the shop overnight. She didn't suffer for lack of a litter box, but now I think I better get the big pile of sawdust underneath my contractors saw picked up pretty soon.

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

survived, kinda... I'm in the eternal summer till 2006 when I retire from the Navy, to someplace where it doesn't snow...

Jack

Reply to
Jack

I feel your pain.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

When I came back from Guam I spent 12 hours in Narita Airport in February. They were just buiding it, so no heat and 25 degrees. You gotta know I didn't own any cold weather gear. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

dave responds:

When I came back from Kaneohe Bay (2 year duty station--Hawaii was not considered rough duty) I had to stand bow watch on the damned ship (God knows why). By the time we got to SF, I was frozen to death, caught the flu, had to bail out (in Reno) and wait a week to heal.

Got home in late February after not being cold (except for 30 days on maneuvers at Pohakuloa [sp?] Army Base at something like 5000') for a long, long time, to find one of the roughest winters in downstate NY in decades. Spent my leave shoveling snow and helpiing my old man change the transmission on his old Ford. And then the linkage. And then the rear end. What a POS.

Long time ago. Sometimes it's hard to believe it ever happened.

Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

Charlie Self

Mortimer Schnerd responds:

Spent a couple years on the windward side, many years ago, and was glad to get back to the land of seasons (though I'd have prefered returning during a less nasty season than that particular winter!).

Constant warm weather wasn't what my system was designed to handle--back then. Now, I wouldn't mind, but couldn't afford it.

Charlie Self "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

Charlie Self

Spent a year on Eniwetok it's about 11 degrees north of the equator. One night during a shower the temp droped to 72 nearly froze,

Bob making sawdust in salem or

Reply to
RPRESHONG

Spilled some kero in the shop yesterday while filling the heater and used the sawdust and shavings that cover the floor to soak it up. Sawdust kinda insulates the floor somewhat too and keeps my feet a little warmer. I'll clean it out in the spring.

Lots of vets here ! THANK you all for serving our country ! !

Charlie in Kentucky

Reply to
Charlie Campney