Router Bit Question

50% more cuts per revolution?

Reply to
CobraPilot

Hey All,

I'm in need of a 2" flush trim bit and have been looking at what's offered from Freud, Jesada, and Whiteside. Whiteside is unique in that they offer a

2 flute and a 3 flute bit. Both are 2" carbide and 1/2" diameter. The offerings from Freud and Jesada are both 2 flute bits. And, of course, the Whiteside bit is about 50% pricier.

So the question is, what benefits will I get from spending the extra cash on the 3 flute Whiteside bit? Less prone to chipout? Easier on the router (3.5HP Milwaukee)?

Thanks for any input.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Or 33% more depending on how you do your math. Either way, though, what does this translate to in real terms? Higher maximum feed rate, I suppose. But that's not much of a selling point for me. What else?

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Brian,

I have bought two Whiteside bits in as many weeks. They seem to be worth the price, based on reviews I've seen. I tossed around the price issue too, but I like to buy once and forget it. I also got tired of going to Rockler and Woodcraft looking for my bits. I found a place online called Ballew Tool & Saw. They carry Whiteside among others, like Amana and CMT. Shipping is free over $75.

As for the 3 flute versus 2, if your router is running 10,000 rpm, then you're running 20,000 teeth/min versus 30,000 teeth/min. Smoother cut?

Nailbender

Reply to
Nail Bender

Reply to
DIYGUY

Huh? That would be a bit with 2.66 flutes. Regardless of how you do the math 50% more is what the 3 offers over the 2. The 2 flute models are 33

1/3 % less than the 3 flute model.
Reply to
Leon

Good question and oddly and totally against the way one would think, IIRC My Amana catalog indicates that the 1 flute strait cut offers a smoother cut over the 2 flute bits. Apparently the 1 flute removes waste more efficiently. I suppose with 1 flute there is more mass in the bit and that probably equates to less vibration.

Reply to
Leon

Hmm, I don't see a 1 flute flush bit on the Amana website. They do offer 2, 3, and 4 flute bits though.... And of course the spiral bits.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

It is in the 2002 catalog. Page 4

And to clarify what I said, or meant to say, from the catalog, the single flute straight plunge bit allows for faster feed rates, greater chip clearance and maximum stock removal.

Sorry for my incorrect reference to smoother cutting.

Reply to
Leon

for Whiteside. Great prices, fast shipping. Used them a dozen times and never disappointed.

Reply to
mttt
3flute should give a smooth cut More cuts per inch with 3flute compared to 2flute

John

Reply to
John Crea

OK, I will bite. How do you do the math so that it comes out at 33% more?

Bob McBreen

Reply to
RWM

Broken flute?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

My bad. I was thinking along the lines of 2 flutes being 33% less than 3.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian