Who's Funny?

Yeah, this was originally posted under some other boring header but I decided to re-package it under this one.

I think there's a mess o' funny guys on da Wreck and I'd like ta see some discussion about those that I forgot.

I'm not sure if this re-posting breaks any Usenet rules, 'cause I ain't read them since about 1985, but I live in the fervid expectation that somebody will kick my ass about it anyways.

(watson - who remembers when Usenet wasn't UseLess.)

Tom -- I nearly always chuckle when I read a post you've written. I try to >write well but when I later read what I've posted my reaction is nearly >always, "That guy's writing sux." Did you follow some kind of program or >system to learn to write well (the idea being that I can "borrow" from it) >or is it a natural gift -- from 2nd grade on teachers always pasted green >stars on your papers? > >BTW, I think you may enjoy the writing here. >
> -- Mark >

Mark:

There's a mess o' folks who are funny on dis here Wreck.

Charlie Self has the driest and most economical wit and he always makes me laugh. Sometime you don't even know it's funny for a day or two.

Keeter's stuff is more involved but still comes from a personality that is full of the ability to see the absurd in life and in the Wreck, mixed with an analytical intelligence that make the funny ring true.

I miss old Walt the most, he was the guy who could really get me belly-laughing - but I think he only writes for money these days.

O'Deen has a fierce intelligence that he moderates with tremendous wit and any thing that you can read of his is informed by both.

Watch out for that Jeffrey Thunder - he of the all too occasional posting - he's a funny MF.

BAD can be funny both intentionally and not.

C-less has some funny things to say but he picks on me too much, so I'm leaving him out.

I don't know where dat PineyWood sumbitch got to but Jummy is a bright spot in the humor column.

Phil Laird has taken to hanging on the binaries but he used to be a reliable laugh - it was the patois - mostly.

I don't know what happened to Pat Leach.

Any Bennett that you can grab is funny, but mostly if you can get them arguing with each other.

Nahmie chimes in with a barb now and then - that can be priceless.

When Baglio isn't taking life too seriously, he's a funny man, and he says some smart stuff, too.

Mike Hide isn't that funny but he is prolly the best wooddorker on the Wreck. The man is a genius with his hands. He's just not funny because he's British. (maybe he's only English - I think you have to be rich to be British).

Rick Chamberlain is funny. He doesn't post nearly enough.

Bob Schmall is flat out funny but he can't play golf worth a damn.

Pagona has always been and always will be funny.

Tommy Plamann is not funny but he doesn't need to be.

charlieb is a sly dog and gets his licks in.

CW is funnier than he realizes.

T, Theo, JOAT is and always will be funny - when he damned well pleases.

Well, I'm running out of gas. You know how these list things are. Somebody is going to be mortally pissed because they did not make the list that I just farted out of my head in two minutes.

Ah, well - that would make them not very funny. . .

But I'm open to equivocation.

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

Yep, Walt has a way with words, where would he be without Helga?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

My son's think I'm pretty funny. The oldest (4) loves my Buzz Lightyear impressions. I'm a big hit with the two year old when I fake a sneeze. Keeps him giggling for minutes!

"Ah, ah, ah - choooooooo!" C'mon - is that pure gold, or whut?

When popping open the rec - I first scan subject lines for topics of interest. Then I go back and scan for authors.

I religously read:

- Tom Watson- prima facie

- Charlie Self - for the acerbic wit and to learn something

- Unisaw A100 "?Keeter?" - to pick up tips on how to say more by saying less and how to fire a 5" shell across someone's bow without them realizing it until they feel the spray on their face

- ?O'Deen? - as I hope to someday figure out what the heck a KlownHammer is

Usually reads include:

- BAD- when I'm in the mood to "see" a febrile reaction amongst imbeciles

- LRod - to get the lastest scoop on Nahm

- JOAT (replies only) - to see what he zeroed in on that I missed.

And a half-dozen others that make an Honorable Mention list that I won't mention.

Seriously, some of you guys make this place more worthwhile that you'll ever know.

Reply to
mttt

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:35:54 -0500, Tom Watson brought forth from the murky depths:

Bad monkey!

Isn't that punishable by law in Pennsyltucky?

---------------------------------------------- CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)

Web Database Development =======================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Not mortally pissed, just heartsick with hurt. But I figure it's on account of I hain't been here to get up anybody's nose lately. Hey, I've been left off better lists than this one - which reminds me, I need to write another letter to those bastards who hand out the MacArthur grants.

Ordinarily I wouldn't beg for attention like this, but:

... and O'Deen thinks *I'm* funny.

Scott, temporarily posting from Google, so most of you will never even see this 'cause you've filtered it thinking it's some twisted new incarnation of the Poopy Wizzard.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

[writing from my alter ego, just to vex, upset, nettle and otherwise tantalize Luigi - after all, it's his world and I'm just grateful to live innit!! ;-)]

Note: The earliest usage of the term, "Pennsyltucky," was by me, using an email address originating from snipped-for-privacy@concentric.net. From now on, when one of youse puts the term, "Pennsyltucky," to pixels, it shall be accompanied by the approved trademark notation: (tmO). Violation of this notice will result in the perpetrator being added to the klownhammer.org fecal roster.

For the record, if you need to ask what a Klown Hammer is, then you wouldn't understand the answer anyways.

My list of funny people?

I don't think anyone has made me laugh harder than Walt Akers, unless it was perhaps Steve Webster with his corn notice to BAD, and then again ScottC kills me, as does Charlie Self, Watson - simply because he's crazy and has left me scratching my head and saying, "fuggin'-a I wish I'd written that," more often than anyone I can think of. I never know what the hell Keeter is going to do to someone, and so I have to be spew-aware. Steve Wallace - of "buy the best and only cry once," used to slay me when he'd play tard-ball with some rube.

Probably the best at being unintentionally funny was (f)Art. He was amazing.

Utilizing the Wayback machine, I knew not to have a mouthful of coffee when reading anything by Leach, D. Brewer Eddy, LEE Ward (who was funny just for the LEEbrary advice), Gary Ilmanen (Snick the Woodcarver), irascible Tom Perigrin, the list goes on. And then some guys get off one story or so and it sticks in your craw. Though not technically a funny-man, I recall Dan Shafner relating an onsite finishing disaster that literally had me crying, I was laughing so hard. If any of you think I'm funny or clever, forget it. I have way more admiration and get a lot more entertainment from the years of reading this group than any hijinks I've ever posted.

I still think the parenthetical explanations to Jeff (resident Yorkshireman, Luigi) are funny.

I think possibly the most consistent chuckles, chortles and guffaws, cane from years of watching Doug Stowe be nice to really stupid people. It was absolutely priceless. We dubbed him St. Doug. He never liked it much.

Hammuh/O'Deen

Reply to
The Hammuh

The Hammuh drives one in with:

Yes, well...my experience with Doug is that he's not a saint, but he has only one problem. He's a genuinely nice guy, something that is exceptionally rare these days (and probably always).

Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain

Charlie Self

O'D:

Ahhh, the halcyon daze of seeing fArt perched up on the bow of the turd barge Sears. His sphincter going pucker, un-pucker, pucker, un-pucker, pucker, un-pucker, pucker, un-pucker, pucker, un-pucker, pucker, un-pucker, pucker, un-pucker, pucker, un-pucker, pucker, un-pucker...

You'd a thought he was going to suck in the entire wreck.

sigh...

Now, if everyone would please doff their hats,

Paully Rad.

Keith Bohn

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Hey Tom, Scott Cramer, he's funnierthanhell, if he'd get off his dead ass and post some more, otherwise, he's OUT!!

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Actually, Keef used to be funny...

Reply to
David F. Eisan

When I saw that post I laughed so damned hard I thought I was going to piss myself.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Hee hee. Now that's funny.

I always tried to catch Bitchslap Bob ("one o or two, Bob?") Z's posts. He rarely failed to entertain, usually at the expense of some totally clueless pantload.

And Bennett Leeds with his psychotic-episode disclaimers was often funny, but only when it was unintentional.

OBWW: It's too damn cold here to do woodworking.

Reply to
Jeff Thunder

Well, in our virtual carnival, one of my favourites is Buddy Matlosz - some of his one liners have caused havoc with my ribs and monitors.

Others have been mentioned time and again in this and the other thread. However, for consistent, subtle and, sometimes, not so subtle, humour, Keeter wins. He is the organ grinder here, he even has a performing monkey (or is that a minkey?).

There are any number of individuals that have posted 'classics' over the years, and a great pastime of mine is dumpster diving in Google to retrieve some of the 'great moments' in the Wreck's history (the 'hairy post of Tom Gauldin is a case in point). Google is the house of mirrors, where you can see the distortion in your earlier posts with the perspective of latter day knowledge.

I think the regulars are characterised as vendors, with a proprietorial sense of humour, and often laconic barbs are shot at the frequent target ducks that cross their sights. Every now and again, you get a *bad* duck that won't lie down, but hey, that's just part of the sideshow folks.

We get 'lurkers' peeking into the tent all the time, occasionally shouting out a post or two, then slinking away again. Trolls appear like rainclouds, dampening things down for a while, making people bring out their umbrella filters or just waiting for it to clear - which it always does.

The webtv crowd are the stilt walkers, moving awkwardly through our midst. The main crowd pleaser to date is JOAT (aka Mr T.). The rest seem to stumble a lot, making others uncomfortable.

Occasionally an elephant man will appear, shocking everyone with his appearance but a morbid attraction is there nonetheless. Once in a while there are the drunks (MITD et al) who get mean spirited and demand their share of attention

But with any carnival or newsgroup, it's hard to say a single component makes it 'great'. It's the overall atmosphere I like, you can participate - or not - but it's always entertaining.

Reply to
Groggy

You want funny? Somebody re-post the origin of Jummywood. Then find the archives of when we all got the opportunity to vote on our favorite American wood and several wrote to the Arbor Association to nominate Jummywood. There must have been a dozen newbies here who were wondering whatinthehell was jummywood, where they could buy it, and what did it look like. I know that all sounds very self-serving, but I can remember those people asking the questions and it was great fun.

Ah - the good old days - when Sheppy was here, Phully was very visible, and Larry began working on his first bowsaw project - uh wait a minute - that was his only project! ROTFLMAO

Jummy Noting and remembering Paul Rad - ;-(

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

On 29 Jan 2004 17:06:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@klownhammer.org (The Hammuh) scribbled:

I'm glad you realize that (i.e that it's my world and that you should be grateful - I am a first-born Italian son, after all). But I do have you on my filters and your post was automatically downloaded this time. Ha!

Luigi Note the new email address. Please adjust your krillfiles (tmAD) accordingly Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

Then perhaps you had better move on down from Tampa to Miami it's warmer there.............mjh

Reply to
Mike Hide

You know, you're right.

And here I'd actually forgotten all about that.

'Preciate it David.

UA100, who is wondering when Bay Area Dave will take the bait from Gurglin' Jules...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Funny? Funny like what, a clown? You think I'm a clown? I'm here to amuse you?

Reply to
Larry Bud

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Oh sure. Cabal. Illuminati Black Smoke/White Smoke. What really goes on in the Meat Department. Area 51. I feel like a 39" 3 year old tyring to sneak a peak at the ball game when the knot hole is 42" up.

Would it help if I mentioned Grandpa was 32nd degree?

Reply to
mttt