paslode fumes

Anyone know of dangers concerning the fumes from the paslode cordless nailers? Anyone get sick using these things?

Reply to
Don

No offence but I would stop using it if I were you and return it to the manufacturer. Let them know what exactly is going on and that it is making you sick. It may be a problem with the battery pack. I would return it if I were you.

Reply to
PME

I think the fumes he is talking about are the fumes from the fuel explosion used to drive the nail.

I used one (rental) in an enclosed room for a day and survived. The smell was obnoxious and they do recommend a well-ventilated area. I have no clinical assessment beyond that however.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Google for 'paslode' and 'msds'.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dear TWS:

You seem smart and I hope you hang around.

I enjoy reading your posts.

I've looked at your website and I admire your work.

I've owned a couple of these devices over the last little while and I've grown to like the smell.

It smells much better than the sweat involved in running an air line to the point of need.

Amen.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

I'll agree with that!

Oh go on! You're just saying that because we share a common first name.

Seriously I am honored by your comments. Thank you. At the risk of sounding trite, I too enjoy your posts. I've only been hanging in the wreck for a short while but I've recognized a few people who actually contribute to this newsgroup and the readers are better for it. Yours is one of those I look forward to.

Thanks for sharing your site. I hadn't checked it out before and now that I have I'm even more honored by your comment. I love your boxes! I am looking forward to spending time with your 'stories'.

"What is Woodworking" was an honest and inspired introspection. Your reference to "Christina's World" struck me because it is one of my favorites but also because of the openly honest analogy. I am a hobbyist woodworker. My longing is to spend more time in the shop making those mistakes that are so important to becoming a better woodworker. Your story recognizes that process and confirms that the metamorphosis is not unique. Thank you.

Tom

Reply to
TWS

The smell reminds me of a freshly fired shotgun shell.

Reply to
Leon

If it smells like that, I may buy one just for sniffing.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

It brings back fond memories. I have not been bird hunting since I was a kid. I hunted a lot as a kid but got tired of all the work after pulling the trigger.

Reply to
Leon

Just take care you don't nail yourself in the chest..

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Well it was a long time ago when I rented the unit so I don't remember the smell and I've never fired a shotgun but it seems odd to me that a petroleum based charge would produce a smell like burnt gunpowder.

TWS

Reply to
TWS

Cordite = Nitroglycerin + Nitrocellulose + Petroleum Jelly, dissolved in Acetone.

Yummm.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Nope, nitrocellulose doesn't smell very much like petroleum when burnt.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It is odd isn't it. I could also be the petroleum based product that you lubricate and clean the barrel with that burns and contributes to the similar smell, although I recall the spent shell having that distinct smell.

Reply to
Leon

That's the chestnut flavouring

(Your starter for 10 - what does the state of Israel owe to British schoolchildren and acetone ?)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

What is, "The Balfour Declaration."

Next, I'll take "Famous Flatulents" for ten. please.