A couple times last year one of the neighbors prepared their charcoal BBQ using what 'I thought' was an excessive amount of lighter fluid. I say, 'I thought', only because the fumes from the pre-light were quite powerful. Didn't say anything about it and at this point I'm not sure who the culprit is. However, it started up again today and I'm not in the mood to put up with it for another summer.
Outside of lighting my neighbor's house on fire, which approach might be best. 1. Tell him/her to stop it all together as it poses a heath risk and is quite annoying? If he refuses call the fire department. 2. Ask how much fluid he is using. If his response seems excessive, then tell him to cut back. Again, if the odors seem excessive, then call the fire or health department.
I get the feeling he's using about a quarter of a can. I'm only judging by the strength of the fumes.