Vertigo cigar lighter.

OT Here's a story.

I have one of those butane torches (this one by Vertigo). Meant for lighting cigars. I found it on a shelf in the hall and since it didn't grow there, I must have found it somewhere else, but I have no recollection of that.

It gives 3 flames at the same time, very impressive, but this one must be almost empty because frequently it gives no flame. That must be why someone threw it away. And I think I've used up most of what little fuel was left.

It seems to have a metal probe which I figure is the electrode and when it wasn't lighting anymore anyhow, I wanted to see the spark it makes. Tried several times and couldn't see it, even though there was no flame to hide it. Even when I turned the lighter sideways. Thought maybe the light from my ceiling fixture was making it too hard to see so I held my hand 2-3 inches from the lighter, to shield it from the light.

So of course, this time it lit! Hot. Hurt my hand. Hurt for 5 minutes, but at least today, the next day, there is no burn.

That was close. I notice that I've never hurt myself doing any of the dangerous things I've done, any of the things my mother told me not to do. I've only hurt myself doing non-dangerous things. Surprise!

Reply to
micky

Didn't lighters use some sort of a flint way back when? I think my dad used to buy them.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Refillable lighters (butane or lighter fluid) still use flints.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Yesh, it is, and even though Ihave no use for a lighter -- I don't even go camping anymore -- I'm thinking of bying a can, for about $5, just becauee it's so cool.

There is definitely no flint in this . The case on this model is translucent dark grey, and with enough light, I think you can seee the gas as a liquid inside, and even though the case is plastic, which doesn't conduct heat that well, I think the longer I hold it in my hand the warmer it gets and the more some of the liquid changes to gas, so the longer I tried, the more likely it was to light, and burn me.

There was 4-minute video for another similar make of lighter that said you had to bleed the lighter, push the valve in so that it could vent, before you filled it. I don't understand that but it's on youtube so it must be true. And I thought he said it was true for similar lighters, like Vertigo.

micky

So you don't have to totally bleed it empty, if it's half full, just enough to chill it?

(Maybe you're going camping in the Yukon and you won't have enough if it's only half full, so you have to top it off before leaving civiilization. In the Yukon you'll have big heavy gloves on so it will be hard to do there, and the refill can would be so cold not much will come out. )

Reply to
micky

Yes. I carry a Zippo in the winter for frozen locks etc. The flints are about a 1/4" long and 1/16" in in diameter. A cold BIC isn't worth much. The problem with a Zippo is the fuel will evaporate over time so if you don't remmeber to fill it it isn't worth anything.

Reply to
rbowman

That sounds good. I hate bleeding something expensaive like butane. Of course, I'll have to pay for electricity to cool the lighter, but I think that costs less.

Reply to
micky