20/20 design hindsight/Lessons learned

I am most definitely a newbie when it comes to woodworking design of any type and, as is so often the case with the first implementation of an original design attempt, there are always elements that you feel (or in my case, know damn well) would have made a more pleasing and better design.

Besides, it's still amazing to me what the actual use of an item/project can illuminate when it comes to what you would change or, in the case of someone else's attempts, where you may stumble upon an off-hand, seemingly unimportant detail that will come in handy in a future project of your own.

Therefore, and in the event I to were build a particular project again, I have taken the time to add some remarks - in hindsight and as I notice them - at the end of each project on my Projects Journal pages ... mainly so I won't forget them myself.

I mention this simply in the event that some may find a comment of two helpful with their own design attempts. I've also tried to credit appropriately those projects that are the results of someone else's design, and tried to make it easier to find those few plans should someone see something they want to attempt.

Hopefully someone with a like interest can garner some use out of these, and future, "hindsight remarks", paltry though they be at present.

Reply to
Swingman

I don't think you should say that right out loud, in front of everybody. It'll hurt your credibility. (-:

Whenever I try something for the first time, I build it with cheap ol' construction lumber (sometimes several iterations) before risking "good" wood. I don't recall ever ending with the same design I started with...

Really good idea. Reflection never does any harm; and your hindsight is now my foresight...

When it comes to design I'm a better engineer than artist. Your web site has been one of what I think of as my "classrooms". I wouldn't necessarily do everything as you have; but being able to look at what you've done has given me starting points for consideration of some other projects of my own.

BS. It's good work. The drawings, pictures, and explanations are good. The "hindsight remarks" add value to everything that went before. Thanks!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Well put! ... that's _exactly_ what I'd hoped would be the case. Thanks for the kind words.

Reply to
Swingman

MDF is also handy for that.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I like your website, Swing. It's clean and loads fast - has good stuff and good ideas on it.

Thanks.

(watson - who ain't never done a job yet that he thought was perfect)

Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker (ret) Real Email is: tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet Website:

Tom Watson

Swingman,

Nice workmanship and website. I have never seen a drawer installed UNDER a dishwasher before. I'm wondering if this may be a setup for a future "hindsight" comment. Fortunately dishwasher leaks are rare, but I think a drawer under is an invitation for a minor disaster.

Reply to
Bruce C.

Yabut, when you're too tall to be able to reach the floor anymore, like I am, it's mighty nice to lift that danged stuff UP where you can reach it! Anyway, I like it ...

Reply to
Pop Rivet

Now that you mention it (I keep trying to forget it), I just happened to have had a superfluous abundance of "foresight" on this very issue:

... that Tammy Wynette would be personally singing that "D" song in my ear if I didn't make it happen.

Now, you understand, I sleep much better at night knowing that SWMBO promised to personally re-build and re-install the entire cabinet, with drawer, if the dishwasher should ever leak ... of course those little blue pills help also.

Reply to
Swingman

When I remodel my kitchen I am lifting the dishwasher up off the floor.

  1. You don't have to bend over so far to get the dishes, (bad back)
  2. The space between the top of the dishwasher and top cabinets is the perfect spot to mount the microwave, toaster park, etc.
  3. If you think the dishwasher is going to leak, don't get one. A leak, is a leak, is a leak. Doesn't matter where it is.

My $0.02

James to reply remove the dashes

Bruce C. wrote:

Reply to
James

SWMBO hurt her back waterskiiing, so that was the rationale behind her insistence that it be done this way.

I still don't care for the idea myself and really didn't want to loose the countertop space, but putting the dishwasher at the end of the cabinet run made it a bit easier to accept. If it had been any further from the sink and drain than it is, I would have balked.

There are quite a few coats of polyurethane on the cabinet floor, and up the side, under the dishwasher to minnimize any damage coming from small leaks that may not get detected right away. Hopefully a major leak is going to be detected immediately.

Reply to
Swingman

I think a drawer under the dishwasher is a good idea actually. It could be a protective option in case of the unlikely event of a dishwasher leak if you think about it. Waterproof the drawer and stick in some type of moisture alarm, if only battery operated. Dishwasher leaks, the alarm goes off and the water is contain to the drawer contents, not damaging any type of superstructure.

Reply to
Upscale

You can't. It will never work. Why? Because we never did it that way!!!!!

How high are you going to lift it? Seems to me about a foot would be good. Do you plan to have it in a wall type setting like the wall mounted ovens? My only concern would be the distance to the sink as in our house, it seems a lot of dishes pass through the sink on the way to the dishwasher as the disposal is there.

Good to see some different thinking is design though. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski