router bit grit carbide

Only Rockler router bits tell they have 800 grit carbide. I can not find what Freud or CMT has? Could you tell me?

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

As good as or better than the Rockler bits.

For a really kick ass bit, try Whiteside.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Go with whiteside. From woodcraft if they are on sale (they put a different whiteside bit on sale each month)

Reply to
woodworker88

You'll be very happy with CMT and Freud bits. Or Amana. Or Bosch. don't know about Rockler bits... :)

Dave

CNT wrote:

Reply to
David

Buy Whiteside....Made in America by Americans....we need the jobs....I have been to the Whiteside factory a number of times....first class operation and wonderful people....let's keep the jobs here in America...the best product made by the best people from the best country...we all win!! Mike

Reply to
aswr

What does 800 grit have to do with a carbide router bit? You mean it was sharpened with an 800 grit stone?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

snipped-for-privacy@ccrtc.com wrote in news:1116036006.058166.69330 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

The most valid economic argument that one needs to make for Whiteside is that their product is excellent, gives good, repeatable service, and is priced fairly.

If you're going to do a job more than once, a tool that lasts is a better buy.

Patriarch, who thinks that good jobs for his neighbors is a good thing, too.

Reply to
Patriarch

I guess you got me corrected. Yes, it would be that way...

I am trying to compare and analyze different router bits. From just looking at the shelf, the CMT would win me. Freud has many good reports. From what I gather somewhat "best bang for buck", Freud would be it. But for only few dollars more, CMT would then be gotten. I am not asking "what is the best router bit" because it's going to be full of opinion. I did read a review about bits, but it was mainly with straight cuts, not panel models.

I still can not find a store where they sell Freud bits? Must be ordered online? Tomorrow, I am going to Lowies for first time (new store in my town) to see if they sell Freud. I remember from WW show, there's a brand called Viper, comments?

Rockler tells me if ANYTHING goes wrong with the Rockler bit, bring it back to the store. Of course, I mention "wear?" and they said it depends, but bring it back, we will see about it then. They also have another brand bits next to the Rockler brand, I THINK it's Amana, boy it's expensive (talking about TWICE as much), but I am buying router bits to use it, not for show-and-tell.

I still don't know what is Freud 2+2, except 2+2 obvious would be 4, huh?

It's a $200 investment, except $250 for CMT. I am interested in "3-set".

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

's doesn't say what is the depth? 3/8" or 7/16" ?

Reply to
CNT

Correct me, does the Whiteside have the hardest carbide of all?

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

CNT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Oldham makes Viper. I bought some when I got my first router, but haven't purchased any more. They are OK, sort of, but they are locked up under glass at Home Depot (reasonable), and you have to find a tool person with a key and 4 minutes to actually purchase anything (less reasonable).

The reason to buy Amana is for the doing, not the show & tell. Their selection will be wider, and they will be in the specialty bits that Rockler doesn't sell in the blue line.

Check your local directory and see if you can find an industrial/commercial sharpening service that caters to cabinet shops and the like. Or call a local shop, and see who sells them their bits. My local guy has a wide selection of Whiteside on hand, and the tooling to resharpen them on site. The cabinet door set I bought from him, locally, with tax, was a bunch lower than what you're quoting, everyday. Ask them about band saw blades while you're there, and see about sharpening or replacing your table saw blade, before you cut into that $1000 stack of kitchen cabinet materials. You might just save the cost of the router bits in one visit.

Keep asking questions. That kitchen will get itself done by Labor Day. ;-) Take some pictures along the way. It makes the bragging easier, when folks tell you how good it looks.

You might just share here, too. Guys like Swingman, who have been doing this a while, still like showing off their craftsmanship, even after many dozens of kitchens. That's a good thing, and inspiration to most of us.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

CNT wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

There are materials scientists around who understand this better than I, who was schooled as an economist. There is a trade off between hardness and brittleness. Brittle means chipping, poor edge retention, and poorer cut, poorer value.

Like most things in life, you have to look at maximizing more than one variable, and there are trade offs.

Reply to
Patriarch

Unfortunately, they aren't easy to find. A local hardware/lumber shop has a good selection of Freud bits, and I can get Freud table saw blades and Forstner bits at HD, but I've never seen Whiteside anywhere but Woodcraft.

Reply to
Hax Planx

Not easily done from reading specifications on some, but not given on others. There are different types of carbide and the better grades hold a better edge for a longer time. If you look here

you will see they have different grades for different mateials to be cut.

If you look here

you will see similar specifications. They also mention the bearing quality, etc.

From just

Both are good bits. As are others.

Ver true. I use a few different bands and have my favorites. I'ms ure there are many good brands that I have not tried.

I've seen them in stores. IIRC, Sears had some. Lowes is not the place to look for quality bits. Or for a good selection.

Nice to know. How about the wood that gets ruined though?

Yes, it is. Amana is good too. They are for use in pro shops, not for show.

I have some $5 bits from Woodcraft. They are very good for what I use them for, but they are not anywhere near the quality of the top brands. I'd not trust them to use on anything expensive or complex. I have Whiteside, Infinity, Freud, Jesada, Lee Valley. If I was doing raised panels, fancy edges, I'd stick with the more expensive, known high quality brands. I'd not try to save a few $ and risk $50 in wood and hours of time. Tough to put that into the equation for best bang for the buck.

Good luck with your choice. Best bang is different for the home shop that will make a profile on 4' of wood and put it aside for a year or three versus cutting hundreds of feet of high priced exotic wood.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Who cares?

In my actual usage, on wood and composites, Whiteside bits make me smile the most.

CMT, Amana, and Freud are good, but a small notch down. Asian bits, like Carb-Tech, Woodcraft's house brand, Rockler, etc... are down from that. I base this opinion of actual usage, and the results on cut quality and how long the quality stays.

Aside from carbide, the runout and quality of the shaft of the bit is very important. I have some bits that leave a scary smooth profile, others that leave chatter marks of different degrees.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

On run-out: The only bits I've used that had run-out were Vipers. Two out of three bits purchased more than a year apart. I stay away from Vipers just like Woodline.

Dave

Ba r r y wrote:

Reply to
David

We don't need the jobs, 10,000,000 ilegal's from Mexico prove that. We simply need to realize that what we want to be paid is more than the job is worth.

That is certainly debatable.

from the best

Pnly if in a particular case the US built item is better.

Reply to
Leon

Found this when searching on router bits... still couldn't find Whiteside's own website homepage. Do you know the Whiteside URL?

"It is Whiteside's policy to provide you with the best possible Router Bits. Superior Quality, American-made Router Bits - Not the Imported tooling many of our competitors sell out of a U.S. supply house. These competitors down-play the fact that their tools are imported. Their catalogs leave out the country of origin for their product. Their names sound American. Some even add "USA" to their company name. On the other hand, Whiteside Tools are MADE IN THE USA. Whiteside Tools more than measure up to the competition. In addition, we are here in the U.S. to help you with our years of experience. We are here in the U.S. to provide technical support. We are here in the U.S. to provide custom tooling if the job demands it. We sell exclusively through qualified distributors who know something about woodworking and can offer additional support. Finally, we stand behind our product. If you haven't used a Whiteside router bit, we invite you to give us a try."

Reply to
CNT

Leon

Well said, just like the touted Jap chisels a chip in one of those will probably take a day of grinding to repair....mjh

Reply to
mike hide