Router Bit Brands?

Hi Guys,

I'm fairly new to woodworking. I would like to know what are some of the better router bits. I don't want to spend money on bits that don't last.

Also, I am looking for a belt sander. A store here has two makita's. One is a 9921 for $219.00 and a 9902 for $166.00. My old crapsman took a crap while building an entertainment center for our TV and VHS, DVD, Sat. reciever.........etc. Any words of wit will be greatly appreciated. Remove x from email name if responding that way.

Thanks in advance. Tim

Reply to
xfooey

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:28:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.comCrawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Jesada, CMT, Whiteside, Freud...all fine choices. AFAIK, the Whiteside line is made in the USA if that has any bearing on the subject of bits. . .

Traves *pun intended*

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

Reply to
JGS

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 06:08:01 -0400, JGS Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

see below...i mentioned Jesada first thing

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

I wonder if he was referring to your comment about the Whiteside being made in the USA and saying that "so is Jesada"?

Hmmm. I wonder.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Some tips on what to look for here:

.

Routerman P. Warner

good bits: CMT, Amana, Bosch, Whiteside, Freud

crappy bits: Viper, Woodline

dave

snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com wrote:

Reply to
bay area dave

Whiteside, Freud

Reply to
FOW

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 06:17:27 -0400, JGS Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

My bad,,,was a late night

Traves :)

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

I recently read Fine Woodworking's article on router bits:

am posting this with a warning. BUY GOOD BITS!

I only use Freud and Whiteside bits because experience has shown me you get what you pay for. After reading the above article, I purchased some Oldham Viper bits and very nearly cut more than wood (do a search on this group for Viper Bits and WoodChuck34 to get more detail).

You may save 5 or 6 bucks if you buy cheaper bits, but I haven't thrown out any Freuds or Whitesides after one job.

Chuck

Reply to
WoodChuck34

Tim,

The following all make good bits:

Whiteside Jesada Amana Ridge Carbide Liberty Eagle-America CMT Freud Paso-Robles Ocemco Her-Saf MLCS Oldham Velepec LRH Hi Guys,

Reply to
Andy