Very slightly OT...Plastics

I need advice. Santa brought my ten-year-old son a television and DVD player for Christmas. He wants dear old Dad to build a small entertainment center to hold his new gifts. I can't wait. Any chance to get my little guy out in the shop with me is the best present I could hope for. The problem is, he wants a door on the front to be made out of dark transparent glass. Personally, I don't think glass and ten-year-olds mix very well; so I am leaning towards some type of plastic. I need any advice on which type of plastic, thickness and any hints on construction. Any recommendations on where to purchase the material in question would be appreciated also. Thanks in advance, and a belated but sincere Merry Christmas to you all.

Reply to
Ron

HD sells various thicknesses of plexiglass. I used 1/4" thick for my router table window in front. Works great.

Reply to
Phisherman

Ron -

Get that boy in the shop! How about using clear acrylic sheet (BORG, etc, would have it) and then using window tint film to darken it? It's a thought and would probably be cheaper/easier to find than tinted plastic and much cheaper than tinted tempered glass.

HTH

John Moorhead Lakeport, CA

Reply to
john moorhead

Let your fingers do the walking thru WOLLEY SEGAP.

Find an industrial plastic sheet goods supplier that has "drop offs" or remnants shelf.

Acrylic or Lexan will work and can be machined..

They will all scratch over time.

I'd probably use 1/4" material.

Might even think about "smoked" material.

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Right on, we have a fabricator here that has lots of cutoffs for sale. This stuff isn't cheap but it is still cheaper than tempered glass. YMMV depending on local demand.

Look in the phone book under "plastic"

Reply to
Greg

Lexan (generic name - polycarbonate) is likely the toughest stuff you can find. It is available clear or tinted. One quarter inch thick would likely handle anything a ten-year-old can throw at it. Some of the big box stores have them - if not look up plastic suppliers in the phone book.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

I work in the Video Arcade industry to support my woodworking habit and I have had to replace a few video screen protectors and although glass would be best. You would need tempered glass and that is custom made to a desired size. (read expensive) Lexan is the next best choice and you will find it at your local borg. It comes in specific size sheets and unless you are talking bigger than 2ft x 3ft, 3/16 will work fine and the borg will cut it for free. although it can easily be drilled for hinges. I would use a wooden door frame and then 1/8 could be used. Check out price and availability before you start DAMHIKT. HTH - george

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 19:29:06 -0600, "Ron" wrote : SNIP

Reply to
George Geddes

A polymer is about the only choice. I don't want to know what tempered glass made to a custom size would cost (ref: George)

Which polymer is the question and the answer depends if its going in a frame.

Polycarbonate (Lexan, Tuffak) is pretty flexible even in 1/4 inch. Depending on the door size it may not be rigid enough without a frame. If frameless Plexiglass would be the better choice.

I know, what woody would make a door without a frame.? You never know.

Reply to
Mark

Window tint won"t work on acrylic.Will bubble over time.I am a window tinter here in va.

Reply to
Brian in Hampton