Sparks when drill stops?

I just got a 15.6 V craftsman drill with a brake. When I release the trigger, I am noticing sparks through the vents in the back. Is this normal?--thanks.

Reply to
TheKeith

You might want to check the condition of the brushes. Some sparks are normal.

Reply to
Phisherman

My Black and Decker does it. Don't know why, but it works fine.

Reply to
Toller

read the instructions. my new ridgid 18v has a brake that engages when the trigger is released. the book says that sparks are caused by the brake engageing.

Reply to
Jim & Sharon

Perfectly normal. Most tools are designed so that the sparks cannot be seen through the vents. But some aren't.

Reply to
AL

Thanks everyone for your help. Since the drill is brand new, taking it apart to check the condition of the brushes is out of the question, I'm afraid, but I'm sure after reading some of your replies, that what's happening is normal. Thanks again.

Reply to
TheKeith
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

That is perfectly normal if your drill has electric brake.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

Normal. The "brakes" actually a set of contacts in the switch that short circuit the motor, and this is why it sparks. It is an old "slot car racing technique". When you turn off the motor, it still spins for a while and becomes a generator. If you short circuit the motor when you turn the power off, it will lock the armature, therefore, brakes the motor.

Reply to
Eric Tonks