Single spark when using Dewalt cordless drill

Sometimes when I use my cordless drill, it will shoot a single spark out the side of the drill.

Is that normal sometimes?

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
A K

What's the matter asshole , can't you take a joke ? I DID answer your question , after all !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

"In some electric drills, these sparks are clearly visible through an opening in the drill body. This type of spark, which occurs whenever the drill is running at any speed, is a normal part of the drill's operation.

I agree with that. These are contained, very small arcing at the contact interface.

"If your electric drill has a brushed DC motor, it is supposed to spark. However, the sparks should be consistent and relatively contained inside the drill. "

What you have:

"Sometimes when I use my cordless drill, it will shoot a single spark out the side of the drill. "

Each of those sparks is some molten material coming off. Is it the worst thing ever and you should buy a new drill? No, but it's not normal for it to be shooting sparks out either and over time, something will likely fail as more and more material disappears.

Reply to
trader_4

cheap-assed "cordless drill-drivers" made to be used as lightweight screw drivers MAY not. All corded drills do as well. Virtually all have fan blades on the armature to force air flow through them.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Looks like you are the one who can't take a joke. :-)

Do you feel better when you name call someone?

Reply to
A K

Yes, the spark came from location circled here.

"

"

Reply to
A K

Only if they deserve it .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

+1 If his post was a joke, it was a stupid one. (Now he'll yell at me.)
Reply to
micky

spark anywhere it will be there. Blow it out with compressed air and try to keepit clean.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That will have to wait till my Dewalt no longer works.

Which I anticipate it taking many years of use.

Andy

Reply to
A K

Happens to me on occasion with my Dewalt drills as well. If you work/use them in a dusty environment such as a wood shop, the particles enter those slots and can spark up and shoot out. I've had my drills for many years and still doing fine.

Reply to
Meanie