No ! That's very dangerous and you should get rid of the drill
immediately . If you'd like , you can send it to me for proper disposal
. Please be sure to include all accessories and chargers , they must
also be disposed of . DO NOT under any circumstances send that drill to
the landfill . Landfills produce methane gas , and one spark can make
the biggest damn explosion you ever saw ! OK , OK , enough foolishness .
Yes that's not unusual , sometimes a bit of something gets on the
commutator and interrupts the current . I wouldn't use it anywhere a
spark would ignite something , but other than that it's OK to use it .
On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 10:51:06 AM UTC-4, A K wrote:
From your cite:
"In some electric drills, these sparks are clearly visible through an opening in the drill body. This type of spark, which occurs whenever the drill is running at any speed, is a normal part of the drill's operation.
I agree with that. These are contained, very small arcing at the contact
"If your electric drill has a brushed DC motor, it is supposed to spark. However, the sparks should be consistent and relatively contained inside the drill. "
What you have:
"Sometimes when I use my cordless drill, it will shoot a single spark out the side of the drill. "
Each of those sparks is some molten material coming off. Is it the worst thing
ever and you should buy a new drill? No, but it's not normal for it to be
shooting sparks out either and over time, something will likely fail as
more and more material disappears.
Virtually ALL cordless drills have ventilation of some sort. Some
cheap-assed "cordless drill-drivers" made to be used as lightweight
screw drivers MAY not.
All corded drills do as well. Virtually all have fan blades on the
armature to force air flow through them.
Happens to me on occasion with my Dewalt drills as well. If you work/use
them in a dusty environment such as a wood shop, the particles enter
those slots and can spark up and shoot out. I've had my drills for many
years and still doing fine.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.