Acronyms & Slang ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

The following list was posted several years ago, so it's probably worth repeating it for those who came later. It's not an exhaustive list, probably the tip of the iceberg, but you get what you pay for. No claims are made for its accuracy or political correctness.

AFAIK As Far As I Know Big Box Store Home Depot, Lowe's (others in different localities) BS Band Saw or Bull Sh_t BT3000 Table Saw made by Riobi BTW By The Way Chop Saw A metal cutting tool, functions like a miter saw CMS Compound Miter Saw Crapsman Derogatory name for Sears products Deja News searchable archive of NG postings

Don't ask me how I know this (Read as: I once screwed up the same way) DIY Do it yourself DW DeWalt FAQ Frequently asked questions FF Face Frame FS For Sale FWIW For whatever its worth FW or FWW Fine Woodworking Magazine GW Garrett Wade HF Harbor Freight HD Home Depot (U.S. largest building supply chain) IIRC If I recall correctly IOW In other words IMHO In my humble opinion KD Kiln dried Lowe's Second largest building supply chain in U.S. MDF Medium Density Fiberboard Neander WW who abstain from the use of power tools (Also Neanderthal) Newbie Someone who shows they have not read the NG that much Norm Norm Abram of the NYW (syndicated WW show on PBS) Normites follower of Norm and user of dedicated power tools NYW New Yankee Workshop, seen on PBS, and in abridged versions On the DIY network NG News Group or no good Orange Tools router bits made by CMP and painted orange OTOH On the other hand PC Porter Cable

Persuader large deadblow hammer POS Piece of sh-t RAS Radial Arm Saw ROS Random Orbit Sander SCMS Sliding compound miter saw S4S sanded on four sides SS Scroll saw or stainless steel SWMBO She who must be obeyed (aka a wife) SWAG Silly wild ass guess TANSTAFL There ain't no such thing as a free lunch TIA Thanks in advance TS Table Saw VSR Variable speed reversible WW wood working Yellow tools Tools made by DeWalt YMMV disclaimer (Your milage may vary)

Reply to
GROVER

SNIP

I always thought that "yellow tools" were those that belonged to JOAT and had not been "borrowed" by his kids.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

GROVER wrote: | ACRONYMS & SLANG FOR REC WOODWORKING

It might be time to add:

ABPW news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking BORG Big Orange Retail Giant BS Bandsaw DAGS Do/did a Google Search DP Drill Press LV Lee Valley Tool Co WTB Want to buy WTF I don't understand

Morris Dovey

[snip]

Actually means *surfaced* on four sides, typically planed on the faces and straight-line rip sawed on the edges. Sometimes sanded too, but usually not.

Reply to
Doug Miller

LMAO

Reply to
Robatoy

You may want to update it a bit.

Also known as the borg (reference to Star Trek or some such and the alien borg that threatened to assimilate us all), which is probably even more widely used (and less understood) than Big Box Store.

Also commonly known as BT3K.

Technically true, except that almost everyone in woodworking refers to a miter saw (the wood kind, and non-compound, and non-slider) as a chop saw.

But well deserved in many cases.

I believe they no longer exist, being taken over by Google.

You should probably add other prefixes, such as FA (for auction), WTB (wanted to buy), OT (off topic), etc.

I believe it's generally considered poor form to use acronyms to define acronyms, particularly when they themselves have yet to be defined in the list (see also NG).

You might mention that some readers are incapable of seeing a reference to Norm or TNYW without flying into paroxysms of anti-brad nailer epithets.

It would not upset me to see certain fan sites mentioned in conjunction with Norm and TNYW.

I believe you mean CMT.

Doesn't have to be a dead blow. Doesn't even have to be a hammer. I refer you to the phrase "brogan maintenance" which, although brogan is probably no longer a well recognized name for shoe, means to kick it.

If you're going to mention "persuader" you might also include "Tennessee smoke wrench" or its variants, as synonymous with applied (perhaps injudiciously) heat (propane, MAPP, or acetylene).

I believe that's actually "surfaced four sides." Usually planed, less frequently sanded. Also, there are S2S and S3S variants.

Not enough "As"; count 'em. TANSTAAFL. Every rule of abbreviation, capitalization, or acronyming requires that if you count one of those you must count the other, or count neither, which renderes the acronym unpronouncable (in my view a principle tenet of acronyms)

Popularly known (at least by a couple of us) as "wood-dorking." Ask your kids or your wife or Tom.

What about "the wreck?" Although if one is here, one probably already knows that.

Maybe it's not the same as the old days, and the chief practitioner has wandered away, but at one time it was quite common to supplement any word which has an alternative Canuckistani spelling with a parenthetical rendering of that spelling including an aside to David (as in David Eisan, now, unfortunately, an infrequent visitor, but at one time perhaps the most successful fisherman on the wreck). e.g. "that's a nice color (colour, David)."

You can check (cheque, David) with other regulars on that.

Reply to
LRod

Doug, You are correct, I'll fix it for the next iteration. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

SOB! I miss that guy. :-(

Reply to
Nova

Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Although some folks have created that definition to fit the acronym, I believe most will agree it's a reference to the Star Trek (or something) beast in space called the borg which will assimilate us all.

Particularly so since the borg is also Lowe's (blue), Menards (unknown color), Farm & Fleet (ditto), and others, rendering the "orange" part a non-sequitir.

Reply to
LRod

L Rod, Thanks for your input, I will include your suggestions in the near future. I guess I'll have to start giving this list a revision number and date Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Not to pick nits, but when a Canuckistani writes a cheque, he checks to see if he wrote it correctly. A 'cheque' is a separate word.

Reply to
Robatoy

Or knock-down, depending on context.

FIL, MIL, BIL, SIL the in laws

Also LOML (love of my life)

Reply to
alexy

A few more I've seen: Griz Grizzly tools HD Usually Home Depot, but I've seen it used as 'Heavy Duty' also LN Lie-Nielsen tools LABP Low Angle Block Plane LOML Love Of My Life, a slightly more respectful (IMHO) term for wife. (Also not gender-specific.) M&T Mortise and Tenon QSWO QuarterSawn White Oak SFWIW Frequently used where I think FWIW would be more appropriate - apparently adds a "So" to the beginning.

Thanks for compiling these, Andy

Reply to
Andy

As the long suffering spouse of a genuine Canuckistani (from Ontario, too, no less), I should have known that. It may have gotten missed in the purge, though (she's been "below the border" for nearly 40 years now). I rarely hear her say "colour," "theatre," or "neighbour" anymore. And she hasn't said "chesterfield" in years.

I should have used a better example.

Reply to
LRod

Well done! Think "WTF!?" but say "I'm afraid I don't quite understand the point you were trying to make. Could you repeat it - please - sir?"

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

I have printed out your post and glued it to the wall with a few brads to hold it until the glue dries. ( I of course took the time to read, understand and follow all of the safety rules that came with my nailer and didn't forget the most important safety rule of all, safety glasses)

Reply to
RayV

That list keeps getting longer.

Duke of URL

Larry Jaques (NO C!)

Danny Priloux O'Deen / Paddy / Paddy Lac (the coiner of Scary Sharp?)

Conan the Librarian

Paul S.

Dave Fleming (the boat builder)

: : :

Fewer mentors - and less humor.

Thankfully, The Two Toms (Watson and Plamann) stop by once in a while.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Thanks for input, Andy. I gotten enough additions to be working on the next revision. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

On 24 May 2007 08:15:00 -0700, GROVER wrote: ...

Already been mentioned that it's actually TANSTAAFL. Might be nice to credit Robert A. Heinlein for coining the term in his novel, "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress".

Reply to
Tom Veatch