Ping charlieb / Domino questions

Hey Charlieb.

Now that you have had your Domino for a few weeks, what do you think? I am in the middle of a project for a customer and was using my PC plate joiner to attach 2.5" wide edging to plywood panels and was thinking the Domino would be better for this task. Additionally, Swingman keeps mentioning the Domino to me. Additionally, Swingman keeps doing projects with his MR. Additionally, the $40 off on the Domino is coming to an end at the end of this month.

So, I have a few questions.

  1. Have you built any projects with your Domino yet?
  2. Is there any aspect that you are less than impressed with?
  3. What are you using for a vacuum? My local dealer has indicated that a shop vac would be needed over a dust collector. I am not too sure that I buy that yet. I attached a 2.5" x 7" hose to my dust collector and it had enough suction to stick and hold on to a flat surface. I wonder if the air flow has to be significant for the chips to be properly carried away. With that in mind, the Festool vacuum would be a nice option. The combination of the Domino and the largest Festool vacuum cleaner bought at the same time would yield a 0 discount but does add 0 to the price. I an finished with loud vacuums and while the much cheaper new models are considerably quieter they are still loud when compared to the Festool. Additionally I hate those stiff flexible hoses that come with most of the cheaper vacuums.
  4. Did you also get the Domino tennon assortment, Systainer, and extra cutters?
  5. Do you see any use for a Plate Joiner when you have a Domino in your shop?

Thanks for any input and all previous reviews on the subject.

Reply to
Leon

AHA!

I knew it! I could tell the hook was set a while back. And then with Swing waving his MR around....

Tool envy (in its most undetectable forms!) is an ugly thing.

Leon: Wow, that came out great. How did you connect that?

Swing: Well... you know, I just cranked up the MR. The more I use it, the more I like it.

Leon: Really? I thought it was hard to get setup.

Swing: Well, not THAT hard. Besides, I can't imagine not having it now (rubbin' it in...) as there are certain joints you need to make these days (points to beautiful chairs with over 4,690 M&T joints in them) that you just need to automate. I can't screwing those things together.

Leon: So how much time would you say the MR actually saved?

Swing: (Now planning his next project with a borrowed Domino) Lemme see.... I would say about 18 months or so. Give or take. ALTHOUGH.... if I had used that new thing... the Canasta... nawww.... the Monopoly.... nawww... Oh yeah, the Domino... it would have done the same thing. You know since ol' Chalie Beldon posted all that info on his site about it, it looks pretty interesting. Does a lot of what the MR does, and even costs a lot less.

Leon: Wow! That's right! Crap! And if I got one, I am sure I would find tons of other uses for it. Not just routing M&T - but cool stuff.

Swing: Oh yeah, you bet. (Now refining mental design of new dinette set chairs with patented Domino M&T joints). I heard of a guy that fixed his car the other day using his.... not sure what he did, but he swears the Domino was the only tool that would work.

Leon: CRAP! Was he telling you this or his wife after she found out about the price?

Swing: Not sure. (Now sets hook and reels the unsuspecting but willing victim in). I could see why the wife would have been upset. I think HE had to pay full price. There's a sale going on right now that makes that machine entirely affordable.

Leon: AAAAHHHHHHH !!! Where?

Swing: Sips coffee and smiles. Don't worry buddy, I'll drive.

*********************************

This probably didn't happen. But having been around those two for just a little while a year or so ago, there is a very interesting dynamic there. It MAY have happened similarly to this?

How many of our good friends (only looking out for our interests) have been able to keep us in the path to buy something we really want?

How many times have I said, "hey that IS really neat. You should get one of those!".

Well done, gentlemen. Wish I was there, I'd ride along.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

wrote a wonderful

Don't stop there Robert!

It could have happened in a parallel universe.

And you could be just discovering your new psychic powers.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

The absolute funniest part is the 40 dollar justification. "Oh frigg, it's $1090.00.. if it was only $1050.00...."

Gawd...I know that rationalisation sooo well.

Leon, Leon, Leon.......LOL

Reply to
Robatoy

rotflmao!!

Touche!

Reply to
Swingman

ROTFLMAO.,.... Noooooo.... not 1090 down to 1050, I'mm considering the vaccum and tennon assortment also. Make that $1376 down to $1336.

AND NOW!!!!! Internationaltool.com is offer ing FREE shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My hearts a flutterin. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Damn...

How long have I known you? ;~)

It went almost exactly like that.

Reply to
Leon

Hey... I'm glad you guys got a chuckle. I laughed pretty hard at the replies, myself.

Now the interesting thing will be when Dr. Jekyll and Dr. Frankenstein take it back to the lab for a workout. THAT will be interesting.

I am seeing a cramped (no matter the size, aren't they all?), but well laid out shop. Enough light to do the experiments, but not really bright. The smell of old coffee is in the air, and soft zydeco playing in the background. Cell phones off. Significant others have found other things to do that doesn't include the two field testing pioneers of Domino rapid repeating M&T joining of wood.

Actually, they are a non factor because they didn't really want anything to do with being out in the shop on a humid south Texas night surrounded by mosquitos the sized of Apache helicopters, with almost as much firepower.

Unpacking the new machine, they will cheerily toss the instructions aside (hell, we read Charlie's writeup) and ogle the newest addition to the workgroup. Wow... the damn thing does look like a biscuit machine... well... no... check it out... it does have a better "feel". Oh yeah.. I got it now. You're right. It feels great in the hand. Not at all like that POS biscuit thing. I wonder how that rumor ever got started?

The collective brain trust studies one another... beats me... then a flash... well sir, one expounds, we ARE in uncharted waters. Most of these poor bastards have probably never used one of these. Yeah... you got that right. Poor devils; they don't understand that this is a profoundly engineered woodworking machine that has the potential to actually change the way we work on a fundamental level.

Whoa....

Silence.

Hey! Let's drill some holes and see if the biscuits fit!

BISCUITS?!?!! The're Dominoes, damnit! Dominoes!!!

Let the fun begin. I do hope we get a full report from "the field".

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

To be a fly on that wall.... Leon going on and on about what to do with that 40 bucks... (*diabolical laughter*)

THEN The bake-off.

In the blue corner, MultiRouter...in the red corner, DOMINO....

Q: will they be wearing capes?

Reply to
Robatoy

HUH! The Systainer tennon and bit assortment are going up to $240 after

5/31. It and the Domino are $80 cheaper right now.

A little more fuel for the fire. ;~)

Absolutely LOL

Reply to
Leon

Tears came to my eyes I was laughing so hard. My wife was laughing as hard as I was.

Snip,

Robert, you should produce a TV commercial for the Domino. The one that comes to mind is the one that was showing 3 or 4 years ago where the Rotozip raced and out cut a jig saw, drill, router, and circle saw. LOL.

Reply to
Leon

I dunno. I was thinking more of a Peter Cushing/Colin Clive matchup. Lots more poetic.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41