Invasion of Fruit flies

This seem trivial, but it really isn't.
I have a big problem with fruit flies and I can NOT get rid of them.
This is what I have tried.
1. Keeping garbage lids closed.
2. Spraying them and garbage with an ammonia solution
3. Mild cursing and harsh language :-)
4. Washing all fruits with a mild bleach solution
Any one with some other ideas ?
If Alfred Hitchcock was still alive, he could make a great movie about this.
Thanks, Andy
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 2:33:27 PM UTC-7, Andy wrote:

A source is drawing them and could fruit that is on the ground and starting to rot.
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 4:41:07 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

There is no fruit anywhere.
Andy
On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 17:16:48 -0700, Andy wrote:

Do have any house plants? Sometimes they can burrow down into the soil. We had an infestation when my son left a half eaten pear in his room. The only thing that finally did the trick was leaving out some sweet red wine in a glass.
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 8:08:11 PM UTC-5, wg_2002 wrote:

No house plants.

In which case, perhaps your flies are drain flies rather than fruit flies.
On 04/03/2017 07:16 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Once I heard: Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
On 4/2/2017 5:33 PM, Andy wrote:

Good start, but they reproduce rapidly and lay eggs so if you get rid of them today, you get them again next week. Trap and kill them. Takes a good week or two to be rid of them.
Get two or three small jars, just 8 oz of so is good. Pit some apple cider vinegar in them, just a quarter full. Cover with plastic wrap. Poke a hole about the size of your thumb. Place them in the area the flies have been found. Freshen after 4 or 5 days. Repeat until they are gone.
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 6:33:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks, I will try anything.
Even an exorcism. :-)
Andy
On 4/2/2017 8:18 PM, Andy wrote:

One thing I did not mention, be sure to clean around the sink drain. They often find their way there and breed.
On Sunday, April 2, 2017 at 6:33:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Thanks, the vinegar trap is working. :-)
3 dead so far.
Andy
On 4/2/17 4:33 PM, Andy wrote:

Fly paper, fly strips? A quick search showed some home made ones.
Andy wrote:

maybe fungus gnats instead of fruit flies?
if you don't have fruit around for them to use.
songbird