Door "Desktop"

What would be the best choice for a door to use as a desktop spanning over a couple of filing cabinets?

TIA Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I have a desk like that; it's up in my daughter's room. A hollow-core luan door. It makes a very poor writing surface because of the wood grain. If you have a router (to trim it), you can contact cement a piece of formica on the top and edges to give a smooth surface.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote in news:c1k1nq$1jbogs$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-63726.news.uni-berlin.de:

Thanks, Bob. Writing won't really be a problem, as I want to use it for my computer. A standard 6'7" long door should just about work to put flat-screen monitor, CPU, scanner, and printer on top and a keyboard and mouse between the monitor and front edge of the top. If I really need a writing surface, something portable should do.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

According to Wayne Boatwright :

If hollow core is acceptable, you'll find hardboard clad door has a smooth surface and would be okay for writing on.

I personally would prefer solid core. Cheap ones are difficult to find these days.

Our "computer desk" is a laminate kitchen countertop mounted on a simple

2x4 wooden frame attached to the wall. The top was custom ordered (an 8' by 5' "L" for about $120). But you could do quite nicely with a 7 foot "second" for not much more than a cheap hollow core door.
Reply to
Chris Lewis

You can find in-stock laminate countertops in various lengths at any Lowes or Home Depot and for a lot less than $120.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

I'm using doors in just that way for two separate computer setups. I have the keyboards on slideout drawer shelves mounted under the door between the filing cabinets. Makes for some extra surface in front of the monitor for taking notes.

They sell those drawers made for keyboards, but none of them were wide enough for a mouse pad alongside so I used ordinary drawer slide hardware and cut my own shelves.

Marty

Reply to
Martin

Are there any home improvement outlet type stores in your area. You can pickup miscut or other type mistake counter tops for short money.

Reply to
just me

"Butcher block" style countertops look nice, I've seen them used before.

Reply to
DesignGuy

Wayne, I used a hollow-core luan-faced door for my computer, with legs on one end and a file cabinet on the other, but I found that it sagged quite a bit and "bounced" when I used the keyboard. I had to install legs in the center to fix this, and then it worked fine. Keep this in mind when you are buying the door. Also, keep in mind that a hollow core door will not hold a screw in most spots, so you will have to bolt through anything that you want to attach (like a keyboard tray).

I have quite a bit of weight on it, including a 21-inch CRT monitor, a stand alone fax machine, and a heavy Lexmark T620 printer (but not the CPU). The keyboard is mounted on a 3M AKT200SL adjustable keyboard tray with a flyout mouse pad, which was expensive but cured my aching neck problems.

I polyurethaned the top with around four coats, and it is reasonably smooth and fairly easy to write on. I don't write on it much anyway, as it is generally covered with books, CDs, disks, and papers.

Reply to
Tom Miller

I have that exact setup. I'm using a hollow-core interior door. It's okay except that I have my computer on it with two monitors and it's sagging ever so slightly in the middle! Other than that, it's fine.

I think the height for interior doors is all about the same, but the width varies. Choose your width based on what you plan to do. I got one that's wide enough for my computer with about

10-12 inches to spare. My keyboard is in a special thing I attached "under" the door/desktop -- a pull-out keyboard tray.
Reply to
Suzie-Q

I used peel-and-stick floor tile.

Reply to
Suzie-Q

I had this exact same setup in my last apartment. I used pvc pipe for the legs and also found that I needed an extra one in the middle to stop it from sagging. When I did that, though, it worked great. It was very stable and sturdy.

dv

Reply to
Drew Volpe

According to Curmudgeon :

Certainly. [Remember that was Canadian dollars, and it wasn't an "in-stock" colour _or_ configuration. An 8' second, for example, might set you back all of $25.]

Reply to
Chris Lewis

One with a flat surface. Des

spanning over

Reply to
Des Perado

I tried a raised-panel door for ours, looked nice but was a pain to roll the mouse over!

Reply to
mwlogs

According to mwlogs :

It's best to have a proper mouse pad. Even if the mouse "works" on a hard surface, hard surfaces will drive dust into the mouse mechanism, and you'll have fun trying to rip it off the rollers.

Ask me how I know.

Not to mention premature ball wear.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Ouch!

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

"just me" wrote in news:zxo%b.126447$jk2.539322@attbi_s53:

Yes, both Home Depot and Lowes. I didn't realize I could get a laminate top so cheap. Time to look before I buy the door!

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Suzie-Q wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.west.earthlink.net:

Great idea if I go with the door.

Thanks, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

snipped-for-privacy@xxoptonline.net (Tom Miller) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.optonline.net:

As some have suggested, I'm thinking now about looking for a precut laminate countertop. Even that might tend to sag when spanned across filing cabinets, so the legs are a good idea.

Thank, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright