OS upgrades

Hmm.. Which version of Windows?

Is sunbelt by chance providing the port it's trying to reach on either IP address?

That doesn't really mean much on it's own.

It may be sending statistics data. Have you by chance tried to examine it with Wireshark? IE: have Wireshark running when you open a pdf and wait for it to try to contact either IP address? Wireshark can provide you all sorts of details, including the raw packet data.

I don't think it's checking for updates...

Reply to
Diesel

I only rephrased it because you insist on playing word games, when the context of the thread, the question, my post are perfectly clear.

If you read the post, he said he was upgrading a desktop system. That's not a CNC or an ATM. Got it now?

You have no idea what line of work I'm in or my background, fool.

I see, so now you "don't know if it was the correct one". ROFL Now you don't know! Then why did you post this as your first, immediate response:

"You must not know much about the subject, then. Firefox will still support XP until 2017. And firefox isn't exactly a 'niche' browser. "

Seems you knew then. Now you don't know! Until 2017? It's April 2017 right now!

More

ROFL. And here you are, the one now backtracking, calling me the ignorant one? You didn't even know what year it was!

ROFL. There you go again, wandering in the wilderness. CNC? Plasma cutters? The guy has a desktop system, try reading the post next time.

Reply to
trader_4

I'm not playing any word games...Your initial reply to the op was perefectly clear, yes. You didn't know that firefox was still being updated and still worked on Windows XP. You couldn't have been more clear concerning it.

What he said doesn't matter as far as that reply of mine goes. You asked me what I'd tell a customer or client. I answered you. You didn't ask me what I'd tell the op, because I already told the OP upgrading to XP 64bit or Windows 7 was a bad idea. You specifically asked what I'd tell a customer or client. Not the OP. Reading comprehension, right?

Unless you lied to me, I do. I asked you about it, in another discussion we had sometime back, in this very newsgroup. You told me that you were an Electrical Engineer. Did you lie to me? Do you need the MID? [g] Granted, it was quite awhile ago, so you may not have remembered it. I'll hunt the MID down for you, if you'd like me to do so. I even told you that I respected what you did, but, you probably don't remember that either.

Uhm. You go and quote what I actually wrote, alter it in your paraphrased quote and claim I don't know? Other than being a trollish thing to do...it does something else I didn't ask you to do for me. Which is to demonstrate a reading comprehension issue on your end...

I was politely telling you, that I didn't agree with your claim that you provided him the correct answer. I can dumb this down further if you need me to do so. "if I'd go so far as to claim" are very important words, and, when removed as you did, alter the context of the line itself. Are you sure you want to accuse me of having reading comprehension issues, again? As, uhh, you're demonstrating what you think I have, yourself. ROFL. Or, you've been beaten down so much by me, that you feel the need to try for obvious trolling. Which is it? I seek clarification.

I'm beginning to think it's the former, with a bit of the latter tossed in for good measure.

See above.

I did read his post. You disagreed with the comment I wrote, to you (not the OP), about Firefox being updated on XP. You asked me what I'd tell a customer or client, not what I'd tell the OP. Hence, my example with CNC/Plasma cutter. Two perfectly good examples of dedicated purpose machines. Trader, I have to tell you man, you aren't a very good troll. In fact, your trolling skills seem to be on par with your IT knowledge.

Reply to
Diesel

I use Opera ... because I felt that FF was getting too bloated to run well on my hardware about 2 or 3 years ago . I don't know what FF's plans are for Linux support , but it was installed as the default browser on the Linux Mint I installed a couple of days ago . Thread below has more details about that install .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The only support left for Firefox is security updates for 5 months. There is no support at all, no security updates, for XP. Only an idiot would argue that is a supported environment for a guy looking to upgrade his PC for the future. But then here you are. Again, CONTEXT is everything.

AGain, you have no concept about CONTEXT.

Your very first post to me was most certainly not polite, it was an attack. An attack over nothing, because now you finally have admitted, you're "not sure" if what I gave was the right answer. ROFL

Reply to
trader_4

VISTA32... yeah I know..

I run Sunbelt all the time and this happens only with Adobe Reader.

I will try that

\ Then what is it doing?

Reply to
makolber

There's worse things. :)

So, again, is sunbelt providing the port along with the IP that Adobe is trying to contact?

Without having any details from you via wireshark, I'd only be taking an educated guess. So, without further adieu, I'd say it's usage statistics. Subject to change of course, pending wireshark data results...

Reply to
Diesel

I misunderstood your question the first time...

Sunbelt is notifying me that Adobe requested a connection to the Internet to contact the reported IP addresses.

I have the option to allow once, allow always or deny.

I have selected deny.

And thinking about your question further, I think you are asking me if sunbelt is reporting to me the specific PORT NUMBER that Adobe is requesting?

I think it did but i failed to write it down.

I will record it the next time

thanks

Mark

Reply to
makolber
[snip]

No worries. [snip]

That's what I'm asking, yes. :)

Cool beans. Don't forget to fork wireshark data, too. Please.

Reply to
Diesel

ok finally got back to this

the ip address is 65.202.184.48 or (27)

and the remote port is http 80.

mark

Reply to
makolber

http and not https right? Wireshark can show you exactly what it's sending as well as any response it gets. The data itself could still be encrypted, but, it's not via https.

Going by the pdf found here:

Messages from Adobe

The General preferences include options for allowing Adobe to display in-product marketing messages while you work in the program. You decide whether to receive these in-product marketing messages.

Note: Transactional messages, which facilitate the Adobe Online Service, cannot be turned off.

I'd say it's usage statistics data and/or what adobe calls 'transactional messages'. I'd know more, if you shared the wireshark details concerning it. It's communicating with an AkamaiGHost server. Rather, it's trying to do so.

Reply to
Diesel