File transfers

Well , the upgrades have begun , this is/was the shop comp , now has a new mobo , cpu , hdd , and RAM and is running 7 Pro/64 . I just ain't ready to jump to 10 . So I'm ready to upgrade my desktop , and I don't want to lose my emails and all that stuff . I've studied on moving all that data from one comp to another , and the only question I have is whether I'm going to have problems moving the email stuff from OE on the old comp to T-bird on the new one . Browser stuff won't be a problem , I'm using Opera on both . -- Snag Lookin' for the knee of the learning curve ...

Reply to
Snag in the Shop
[snip]

Fwiw, I think you're going down the wrong path...Windows 7 isn't going to be supported for too much longer. You'll be in the same boat as XP/Vista users, soon enough.

Reply to
Diesel

I waited until 1 week before the expiration of MS's free upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 to do the upgrade on my Dell PC. Your experience may differ, but my upgrade was almost trouble free. My 2 biggest problems were that (1) there was no product specific driver for my 10 year old monochrome laser printer. I was able to use the printer but lost the capacity to produce automatic duplex print outs. (2) the Win 10 driver for my built-in wifi card reduced the send/receive speed to about 20% of what it used to be despite trying several other drivers and adjusting the settings. Problem solved by using an old external (USB) plug and play wifi dongle from my junk box. Win 10 recognized it immediately, installed it with the appropriate Win 10 driver, and I regained full throughput speed. As far as Thunderbird is concerned, I've used it for many years. When Win 10 finished installing and booted up, T-Bird was there, just as I had left it before the upgrade. I recommend doing a full backup of all critical data and non-OS application installation files prior to the upgrade, but more likely than not, it will go well. Good luck!

Reply to
Peter

Exactly.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

So? Depends on your needs. We have an XP system at work that runs two programs to monitor a process. Works great, is not connected to the internet, never needed support.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You just stated why it is a good idea to go ahead and download W-10. He IS connected to the internet.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

If it's like Win2000, it was almost 3 years between "end of life" and when I found the OS unusable. For web access, I use Firefox, which was still being updated. Maybe it'll be time to stop using Win7 in 2023.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I covered that too. :) Dedicated machine, dedicated purpose. The OP doesn't appear to qualify under those conditions...

Reply to
Diesel

:) Careful Mark, you might piss Trader off.

Reply to
Diesel