OS upgrades

I'm downloading a copy of Mint as I type this ... probably load it as a dual-boot on one of these comps to see if the wife can get along with it .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Not much sense in arguing with you. You actually believe this. Why do you post links that show you how to turn data collection off, then complain about data collection? If you're not willing to take the simple steps required, shame on you. Here's a very recent article about Win 10 "spying."

It includes links to descriptions and names of what is collected. I used the following search argument is Google. "2017 windows 10 microsoft data collection"

Reply to
Vic Smith

Did you read the entire list? Did you understand what they are collecting? Do you realize this is just the 'basic' list?

Reply to
rbowman
[snip]

It'll suck? -)

Reply to
hah
[snip]

THAT was a good thing to be wrong about.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Sure. SdbBlockUpgradeCanReinstall and HashAlgId concern me. Not. Once I quit BAL programming I quit caring about registers and op codes. "Basic" is what my Windows 10 is set at. Hey, I'm not asking anybody to run Windows 10.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Linux needs a minimum of three partitions just to function, /boot, /, and a swap.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

You obvoiusly didn't read my follow up to that post . Shame on you !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

So you're foolish enough to take quotes and repost them when it's very obvious that they left off the whole last part of a sentence. You don't care about the rest, because what you saw supports your beliefs. And about this your bragging?

Wow, imagine that. Smartphones have been doing similar for years now. You don't want a smartphone? Don't want Win 10? Don't use it! Just stop bitching.

Reply to
trader_4

Again, the context of the thread was upgrading hardware on an XP system with the intention of using it into the future. So, let's get this right. Based on the above, it's your professional opinion that relying on Firefox as a browser that will run on XP for the future is a sound decision? Is that what you'd tell a customer? A client? That while Mozilla has said they have already discontinued all support except for security updates, that because they have said they will continue to provide only security updates for 5 months, that means it's supported and a swell choice? WTF?

Reply to
trader_4

FrozenNorth wrote: ...

interesting, considering i booted a single partition USB stick the other day with linux on it...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

heh, well, i've written plenty of C myself, but sometimes it really is simpler to use something else. often i'll use unix tools before having to resort to coding it by hand.

in this particular case i already had the spreadsheet done so it only took me a while to redo it in oocalc and the nice thing about bringing it up to date was that it could go grab stuff from the internet so i wouldn't have to add them by hand any longer. i felt i had properly made it to the 21st century at last when i got that to work.

eww... that's just brain dead...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Would alyou clowns with your anti-christian bigotry in your signatures PLEASErefrain from showing your religious jealousness? You don't see the Christians pushing their beliefs on every post, regardless of subject.

Cut it out and act like sane adults

Reply to
clare

There's no point in trying to 'argue' about something YOU don't know anything about, no.

That isn't why I posted the article, and, I doubt you're that stupid, either. If you are, it's on me for assuming your more intelligent then I've given you credit for. The issue I have is that the OS shouldn't require me to turn those 'features' off in the first place. They SHOULDN'T be there. I don't run Windows 10, I won't run Windows

10 native on any machine I own, either. I don't believe in giving up my privacy for new eye candy and possible locked hardware down the road. It's another reason I'm converting ALL of these machines to Linux. I've tolerated Microsofts bullshit for years, but, I don't have to tolerate Winshit 10 OR it's spyware habits on my own personal machines. My files stored locally are MY FILES, nobody elses.
Reply to
Diesel

While I find your efforts to excuse your false accusation against me rather amusing, it doesn't change what you did. They specifically quoted an 'excerpt'. Are you familiar with the word?

Which smartphones specifically are keeping copies of my conversations and submitting them elsewhere? Go ahead, take your time to form a reasonable and believable reply. I'll wait.

In the meantime, you owe me an apology.

Reply to
Diesel

True so far.

That's not what I wrote, Trader. Infact, I advised the OP not to pursue XP 64bit or 'upgrade' to Windows 7, either; for the same reason. He's only delaying the inevitable. If he wants to run modern hardware, he should go with a modern OS. Such as Linux, not Winshit

That depends entirely on what the machine in question is being used for. If it's running a CNC or plasma cutter in his shop, there's no reason to 'upgrade' the OS. It might infact, disable the CNC machine and/or plasma cutter.

Er, not quite, no. Still supported, yes. Swell choice? Depends on the situation. For the OP, I don't believe using XP 64bit or Windows 7 is a sound decision to be making. And, I've stated that. They are comfortable with XP, they'd be comfortable with Linux Mint. I base this entirely on my test subjects who aren't tech savvy and couldn't tell you what OS is present on their machine. I switched them to Linux Mint, no complaints, significant reduction in what I believe are unnecessary tech support calls/emails for me. If they can run linux, so can the OP and his wife.

Reply to
Diesel

Live right? That's not quite the same thing as an installed version. :)

Reply to
Diesel

[g]
Reply to
Diesel

Make that Zealousness

Reply to
clare

Yeah, I'd probably be impressed if I saw a spreadsheet someone actually used as a spreadsheet rather than a half-assed attempt at project documentation.

Reply to
rbowman