OS upgrades

On 04/06/2017 11:54 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
[snip]

I suppose that's NAT. Yes, I'd always use a router, at least except for a few seconds to determine if the router is the problem.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

Correct -NAT - Network Address Translation

On Thu 06 Apr 2017 09:54:21a, told us...

I have used a router for years and it handles both of our computers. IN addition, I've taken every measure possible to configure my software to eliminate communication leaving our computers. Both of our computers are connected 24/7 and we've never experienced a problem.

Thu, 06 Apr 2017 19:23:53 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:
[snip]

Does your router support WPS? Is it turned off? Are you sure it's actually off? If not, you're vulnerable to wardriving.
On 04/06/2017 06:54 PM, Diesel wrote:
[snip]

DD-WRT firmware can be installed on many routers. It does not support WPS, and defaults for other things are more secure. For one thing, uPnP defaults to off.

Nobody said anything about wifi - that is an option a router doesn't have to have
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca

Heh. Does your router support uPnP? Most do these days, it's quite popular. If yours does and it's on, your vulnerable. No wifi required on that one.
On 04/06/2017 08:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:
[snip]

It's a security hole. If you don't need it, it should be turned off if present. I know of some people who have routers with WiFi, never use WiFi, and leave it on (and maybe even without security).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
Fri, 07 Apr 2017 00:52:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

True, but, I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here. :)
On Thu, 06 Apr 2017 19:23:53 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

Likewise
[snip]

I've used a router since about 1998. Then it was with dial-up (2400 BPS POTS).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca Thu, 06 Apr 2017 16:54:21 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:
[snip]

With Windows 10, it makes no difference. Windows 10 will, at MS discretion send copies of anything present on your local hard drive. Your only real defense against that is storing encrypted files on the machine that weren't encrypted using that specific machine; as thanks to keylogging, they'd have the passphrase to decrypt them, anyway.
Otherwise, I agree, using a router between your computer and the modem will keep you safer. As long as the router doesn't have vulnerable firmware AND it's configured properly. One such example is WPS. If it's on, one does NOT need your WPA key to gain access to your network. WPS can be hax0red in a few seconds using a decent machine. and, that's just one example where a router can fail you.
Thu, 06 Apr 2017 15:47:17 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

That's a rather ignorant statement to write...Not all OS's, apps, hardware, etc, do the spying on the user thing. And the internet itself isn't responsible for what some vendors have chosen to do, either.
On 4/6/2017 11:29 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I don't do cloud storage either and turned off all the data that MS wanted to collect in Win10 as it slowed shutdown considerably.
I don't see a microphone or camera on my smart TV and if there were a camera it is easily covered. I like it for Netflix and now find Comcast X1 system will work through wifi and brings Netflix to sets that are not smart.
I want to master the technology, not let it master me. As Wayne points out the only sure thing you can do is not to go online.

None of my windows 7 or 10 installs use cloud storage, and my Windows 10 installs do not "call home" or share any information with Microsoft or other users on the network - unless I say so.
They can both be every bit as secure as Win XP or 98.

Hilarious!!
says...

How many years was XP out, around 15 and it still had to have security updates. Hard telling how many 'bugs' there are in win 10 not counting the known built in spy ware.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca Thu, 06 Apr 2017 16:52:16 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

Windows 9x was never built with security in mind. It doesn't support a file system that actually has permissions, either. Nor does it have real user account restriction options. Essentially, under win9x you're always an adminstrator with full rights to the system. As is any software that runs on it. With XP, this isn't the case.
Thu, 06 Apr 2017 15:29:06 GMT in alt.home.repair, wrote:

+1
On 04/06/2017 10:29 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[snip]

Most of my stuff is NOT on Windows 10 (or 8). I have Win 10 to verify that my website works on Edge. Also, I will probably be asked to help someone with it someday.
I'm using Linux for most things. The few that require Windows are on 7.

I don't either.

I have one, but have never connected it to the internet.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/