The Dark Side

It beckons , it does ! After a week or more of fighting Win7 to run and be stable on not one but two completely (or nearly so) newly built computers I installed Mint on the newest (all new but the case and cpu) of them . Multiple crashes , blue screens and shut downs , and finally that comp wouldn't boot at all . It shouldn't be this hard to install and update an OS !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Since both Windows and Linux do not work on the machines , even though new, I suspect a hardware problem.

I'd start with a RAM test.

I once bought some super-cheap Chinese RAM and one stick was flaky right from the start.

They did give me a refund even though I told them for the $2 a stick I paid, not to bother.

Reply to
philo

I'd run memtest from a USB drive and let it beat on the memory for a while. Also, are the BIOS settings correct for the RAM?

rbowman

Try Linux Mint KDE 17.3 and tell us how it goes.

Reply to
your name here

I guess I wasn't clear , Windows was giving me trouble , not Mint .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Well, I just built a machine recently using some very new hardware and was unable to install anything until I went into the UEFI settings and set CSM to legacy. Hard to believe that the mobo was non-functional with the default setup.

Essentially it made the UEFI look like a legacy BIOS as far as I could figure.

The mobo was designed for Ubuntu 16.10 and Win10

and I was trying to install Win7

Once I got Win7 installed it turned out some drivers just were not available for win7 at all so I was kind of forced into using Win10

At any rate, see if you can do something similar to what I did

Reply to
philo

I read the entire thread so far, so I know you aren't clear with this post concerning Linux and Windows both crashing out on you. Although Link Mint is up and running, it tends to be more fault tolerant than windows with *some* hardware issues. And likewise with Windows concerning some other hardware issues. Don't mistake that for being a stable system.

Let's begin to rule out the obvious, if you don't mind.

Did you properly reseat the CPU and RAM? Is the CPU overheating? Did you use any thermal paste? Did you apply too much of it?

Pending that's all okay, lets test the ram:

Pending that passes with flying colors....

What *exactly* do you mean by won't boot? Is it still posting? Or, just not going into Windows? And, you are only having an issue with Windows at this point, right? Which version of Windows did you try to load?

Are your optical drives in good working order? Are the data cables nice and snug without any problems? A faulty data cable can make your life a living hell, too. And, it's not one of the first things most people will check for, either. Is the media you used for Windows in good condition? No scratches, fingerprints, etc.

At what point did Windows begin to have issues? During initial install, OR, when you began loading drivers?

Which version specifically of Linux did you load? Did linux give you any trouble installing?

Help me, help you, by answering my questions and doing what I've asked of you, in the order I asked. I'll monitor this thread for your response.

Reply to
Diesel

:) I've seen various Windows editions install and idle at the desktop just fine on bad ram, just don't actually try doing anything.. And, it goes without saying (well, it should anyway) that you are risking whatever data is on the machine running it this way.

Reply to
Diesel

Properly seated on both counts , just a dab of paste in the center of the cpu before seating the fan assembly and it has a temp probe stuck between the fins of the heatsink - running at 83?F right now while idle .

Memtest says the RAM is good .

I was attempting to run Win7 Pro 64 bit . Repeated blue screens , don't remember all the codes . Probably because i didn't understand what they mean . Got to the point that it was running startup repair screen repeatedly and wouldn't boot at all .

Everything in the case is new except the Phenom X4/1.8 Ghz cpu and the case itself . That cpu has been running with no problems in my desktop for about a month .

I first started having problems during the initial updates . Motherboard drivers supplied loaded fine .

Loaded Mint version 18.1 cinnamon with no problems . Biggest problem to date is simple unfamiliarity with the new OS . Very similar to Ubuntu , and I'm figuring it out .

One problem I've had is getting it to boot with a second 1Tb hard drive hooked up (primary is also a 1Tb). That hdd has video and music on it that was put there under a Windows OS . When trying to boot with it plugged in it pops a ntldr not found , other similar codes . Works fine plugged into a USB port thru an interface device though . I have another hdd coming , plan to use it for my media storage and move the media to it then wipe this one .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I've never seen a drive come already formatted ... but yes , it will need to be partitioned and formatted .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

In the future, you should smear the paste with your finger so it's even on the entire surface area where the heatsink is going to contact it. Don't expect the heatsink to do this for you, automagically. Just a very thin, and I do mean, thin, layer covering the entire contact surface is what you're after. And be sure to wash it off of yourself when finished, it's usually toxic to humans not to mention the greasy feeling. Temp is very good for that cpu, btw.

So far, so good.

Okay, so, just to clarify, it's posting, but, no longer going into Windows at all now, right? And, this was a blank hard disk before you started, right?

Were you able to get the install up and going initially? Did you start having problems as you loaded drivers? If so, where did you get the drivers?

Which mainboard are you using? make/model please, revision as well if you know it.

Did you modify anything in cmos setup?

initial updates....from Microsoft, or updated drivers you acquired? What problems do you remember having first, and, what did you update that caused the first issue?

It's a 'fork' of Ubuntu, so it's going to look quite similar. The hardware is cruising right along with it though, right? No issues whatsoever?

Okay. See below.

What's the history with this particular drive? Was it blank prior to you loading your music/video files, or, did it contain a bootable operating system at some point? As, well, based on what you've written so far, it has an mbr and an active partition flag set. A simple format command doesn't touch either one, but, does waste the ntldr file that would have been present...along with every other file on it...

Also, which sata port is that drive connected to? And, which sata port is your bootable linux drive connected to? They are numbered for a very specific reason...When running the box with a single drive, it doesn't matter, but, when multiple drives are connected, it does. Especially if both drives have code the bios/uefi can pass control over to. And, going by what you've written, it does...Hence my question about it's history.

And, I'm going to ask you again, Did you change anything in the cmos setup on that mainboard?

That's because, short of you telling the machine to try and boot via USB, it doesn't care if the drive has an mbr. It won't try to pass control to it.

Unless you zero out the drive, you aren't touching the mbr or the active partition bit that appears to be set on it...

I'll continue monitoring this thread for your reply. It doesn't sound like an actual hardware issue so far though. Is this machine going to be serving a dedicated purpose, like a media server/aka, jukebox, or become a daily driver? In other words, what are your plans for it?

Reply to
Diesel

FUCK! BD used to tell me how knowledgeable you're supposed to be with the PC, but... after reading several of your posts now in various threads, I think he's misplaced his trust, again...No offense intended.

Oh really? Mobo make/model please? I'd like to check this officially designed for Ubuntu board out.

Hehehe. Didn't you get the memo? MS is intentionally not providing support for 'new' hardware with Windows versions upto 8.1. Nice of them, ain't it? They don't need to wait for EOL now. They can just fuxor you over two ways from sunday by refusing to provide non security updates and driver support.

Yes, yes you were. How did you not know this was coming? MS has been pretty clear about this for awhile now.

Er.. I don't think he wanted to run windows 10. I could be wrong though.

Reply to
Diesel

When I mount a heatsink I wiggle it around to spread the paste before latching it in place . Spreading it around with my finger does sound like a good idea ...

It still posts , windows tries to start then goes to startup repair . This is Win7 Pro 64 bit .

Right , and it was a nearly new drive , repartitioned and formatted by the install disk .

It installed and was running , drivers were on a CD that came with the motherboard - Asrock N68C-GS4FX rev g/a 1.03. Problems started after an initial round of updates from M$ update .

Asrock N68C-GS4FX rev g/a 1.03

Never touched setup except to set CD/DVD as the first boot device to load the OS .

First indication of trouble was a BSOD , don't remember what the error message was . Updates were from Windows update .

THis drive was originally purchased for storage of video content and a backup for my music files . It has never had an OS installed . FWIW when the drive was installed in a HP n1600a running Win XP Pro 32 bit I had a similar problem .

I didn't know it mattered which port which drive is plugged in to with SATA , I'll check that today .

Only the first boot device .

When the new drive comes (unless I find a solution before) this drive will be repartitioned before I use it anywhere else . This comp is intended to be used as a media storage and playback device , will be hooked to my TV via a VGA to HDMI converter .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I just swapped cables around , with the boot drive in #1 and the storage drive in #2 it boots just fine . THANKS !!

Reply to
Terry Coombs

LOL, I certainly never made the claim I'm knowledgeable...I'm pretty dumb actually but somehow manage to solve most problems I come across simply because I'm persistent and don't give up. I guess I have /some/ smarts though because I often come up with solutions that other people don't think of.

I once had a GF who was a computer and math genius and we desperately worked on a problem and both got answers that were mathematically correct....only she said I was wrong because my answer was not the same answer the solution book gave.

Board is an ASRock J3455M and the specs specifically say Win10 and Ubuntu 16.10

I confirmed that it works fine with Ubuntu 16.04 and Win10 home or pro

No I did not get the memo and did not find that out until recently.

Although I am on the Windows Insider program and have fooled with Win 10 a little, until recently I was quite a bit behind the curve.

The main reason I have kept behind is because Win7 has always worked for me and the people I deal with. I have told most people just to stay with Win7 and not upgrade to Win8 but now that I've examined Win10 I see that for the most part it's OK

Only big problem I see is the auto-reboot after update but I have that problem solved.

I did get all drivers working but USB so was running the machine for a while with a PCIe USB-3 card.

It was $10 so I could have kept win7

But there was one other small glitch in that the VGA driver was just generic and though it worked OK with the generic drivers it did not support two screens so I had to add a junk-box video card that I had drivers for.

Finally I said, the hell with it and loaded Win10

Since I was able to find a cheap key on eBay that made the decision simple

Reply to
philo

Good call on the part of Diesel.

I've seen that with XP but thus far never with Win7

Reply to
philo

That wasn't Win7 , that was Linux Mint 18.1 cinnamon 64 bit

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The specific processors are the Intel 'Kaby Lake' and AMD 'Bristol Ridge' generation.

Reply to
rbowman

With Linux I know SATA channel can make a difference

Reply to
philo

You lucked out and it's not a Kaby Lake CPU.

Reply to
rbowman