Humax video recorder

When a local Currys closed down, I made the mistake of buying a Humax video recorder. I've never liked it - it takes forever to start up from cold and lights the same red led to show both "off" and "recording". Utterly stupid design and just one of the weirdly incompetent human interface decisions.
Because whatever incompetent body that replaced the BBC in transmitter site planning (Ofcom?) excelled themselves, we are now plagued by a relay for BBC Wales nearby and in line with and thus much stronger than Winter Hill. This makes tuning up any TV apparatus a nightmare. This may or may not be relevant.
When setting up a programme to record, within the last few weeks the Humax has now started deciding it will record the Welsh channel as well as the English. So I've been having to go through and delete lots of duplicate recordings.
Today when trying to set up to record tonight's political debate (we look after even older people than us) it decided that it couldn't record the Winter Hill channel because it already had two channels set to record. Having scrolled through all the channels in the recording schedule and finding nothing pre-programmed, it occurred to me that the clash was with the two BBC Wales channels (HD and SD?) in the list which it was waiting to set up. Accepting the only option of deleting the English recording and allowing a Welsh lets it record, so we may be OK.
I wonder if anyone else has seen anything like this and whether there may have been a recent over the air software update that has caused it. Or is it my finger trouble?
--
Bill

On 04/06/2017 13:40, Bill wrote:

Which model?
On Sunday, 4 June 2017 14:02:36 UTC+1, Clive George wrote:

I guess it's not a betamax or u-matic.
NT
Or vcr, or video 2000 or vhs or long play vcr or Technicolour reel to reel or video 8 or... chuckle. Brian
--
----- -

2000T. The delay in finding it was because I don't want to disturb or brave the old ladies in the lounge and couldn't immediately locate the manuals on my backup server. That's another thing I need to improve.
--
Bill

On 04/06/17 15:02, Bill wrote:

I use a PC equipped with a Hauppage USB TV tuner.
Running linux and Kaffeine.
I can record as many stations simultaneously as I have USB dongles to tune the multiplexes to
Recorded videos are (edited with openshot to remove the adverts and) stored on my headless domestic server (linux) (built from a scrap PC gifted to me by my PC supplier, as it was obsolete and unsaleable) which runs minidlna so the smart TV can 'see' the whole 500GB video library.
I have no DVD player.
DVDs are ripped on as PC as soon as they are bough, by Handbrake, and stored on the server.
There is now just one remote and a TV screen connected by mains networked plugs (WiFi proved unreliable for all te streaming I do) in the living room...
It turns out that this is about the lowest box count and remote count that works.
Mindlna does audio too. and so does the TV.
I must get a hifi amp to add to it all.
If you have a desktop PC,and a smart TV then getting the dongles aint expensive, and building a server out of an old XP machine (needs little CPU or RAM, just serious disk) is cheep.
And you then have a permanent online library of ALL your DVDs, plus the functionality of a TV recorder that will do as many channels as you add dongles up to the five that represent all the UK muxes in general.
And its a heck of a sight easier to set up recording schedules with a mouse and keyboard than a sodding remote.

That sounds very interesting, although I have doubts about it being appropriate for the circumstances here. SWMBO can just about stop and start playback of recordings once I have them all set up and ready. She won't use any sort of computer and the smartphone I got for her remains unused.
I might fire up a Linux machine and have a look at Kaffeine. I assume that when you refer to usb dongles in the 3rd para, you are meaning dongled usb tuners?
--
Bill

On 04/06/17 17:24, Bill wrote:

Correct. Hauppage do em for normal digital TV and a new one that does HD as well
There's several different TV player for linux. MeTV, mythTV XRDBC VLC.
from memory. Maybe even that ghastly pile of turds Totem
For me I prefer everything - computer data, pictures music videos - all on the server where I can auto back them up and use a TV to play the multimedia or PC, and a PC to edit the personal data stuff
In fact you could using a wireless keyboard and mouse simply use the TV as a monitor for that server, although I think you would need speakers as well.
--
Of what good are dead warriors? … Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

No longer made ??

Not exactly an easy-to-use option for most.

There aren't enough hours in the day to watch the many hours of nonsense I have recorded on my simple, easy to use Humax HD Fox T2.

Are you being serious ?. Setting up a once-off or series recording is just one button press on my Humax.
On 05/06/17 17:40, Andrew wrote:

still made in 57 different flavours

This is UK-d-i-y.
Not home-owners consumer items wankfestr

If you can navigate to the right page and have the remote

Linux is definately *not* DIY. Windows and Apple stuff is.

On 05/06/17 19:50, Andrew wrote:

Oh dear.
No,. there is nothing to be done on Apple. Thats 'take it to the apple center' stuff
Windows is what it is. You cant really configure it much.
You certainly cant BUILD anything useful with it easily.
Building a NAS style home server out of an old XP tower with some extra disk is really a lot less challenging than installing a toilet.
kind word alone.
On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 20:45:39 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

Where is my stalking net cop Clive George when we want him?
Here TNP goes again, bringing Linux advocacy to a group that looks like he would rather keep his heavily biased thoughts to himself?
Cheers, T i m
On 05/06/2017 21:06, T i m wrote:

Turnip is killfiled because there's no hope for him.
On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 21:25:23 +0100, Clive George

Any chance you could do the same for me please? At least it wouldn't still look like you were stalking me. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Monday, 5 June 2017 20:45:42 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Linux is the one OS some people do diy. It's the only major one one can.
NT
On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 15:14:55 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:
<snip> >Linux is the one OS some people do diy.
Linus certainly did. ;-)

Especially if one is into programming.
The thing (that some of the Linux geeks can't understand) is that I'm not into programming and never have been. Ok, I've done a bit of BASIC on the PDP11 we had a 300 baud model link to when at college and on my ZX81's, Spectrum and BBC B, but it became very apparent very quickly that I was better with a soldering iron than I was with a keyboard.
I have done a bit of (very simple) programming on the Arduinos and I 'like' the way you interface with it (unlike the BBC micro:bit that is a bit weird) and it is a buzz when something works, but I don't really have to time, interest (and therefore) attention span to actually make stuff that anyone else might consider 'good'.
Because so much of the Arduino stuff is already out there as examples or to download, I have found that whilst I can generally make all the different hardware modules work, I can't make the programming work to tie all the hardware together nicely.
Like I was working on a project with a mate that could fade up and down his marine fish tank lights with one set controlled over a bluetooth link. We had the (LED) lamps controlled nicely, the BT link working and, the RTC module set and displaying the right date and time on an I2C linked LCD display, it was just that I didn't have the skills (or time / interest to learn them).
Luckily I have a mate who is a very good programmer who is happy to Teamviewer into my PC and pull all the modules together. He doesn't know much about electronics so is happy for what I can show him in return. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Mon, 5 Jun 2017 19:50:57 +0100, Andrew

Linux is definitely DIY! Windows not so much.
On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 15:06:27 +0100, Mark

<snip>

I think the right answer is a function of what you expect / have to get involved in, so in that respect (and for me and many worse than me), dealing with Windows is about as far as 'most people' care or are able to 'diy' on an OS.
Basically, most of what 'most people' are expected to deal with (in a technical sense) is typically done via the GUI. That means it can be managed by solutions often found by trial-and error.
With Linux and it's greater reliance on the CLI to do such things (and with very little that would be intuitive to anyone who wasn't a programmer or used to dealing with such systems), it is less easy / likely for anyone to fix something using trial-and-error, rather than the '1000 monkeys' solution.
This is coming from someone who built his first IBM PC/AT clone running MSDOS 5 and OS fairly familiar with editing a *couple* of startup batch files and using a few basic CLI commands.
Part of autoexec.bat was to call Automenu.bat and it was all pretty well menu based from then on (for me at home and the 35 users I looked after on the PC's and LAN I built and installed at work).
Installing and maintaining several DOS's ... CPM, OS2, Apples OS / OSX and NOS's like Windows 3.11, Lan Manager, Netware and NT Server, offered very little in the way of preparation for installing and running Linux.
Maybe if I'd ever had to work on a mainframe or a Unix machine over my 40 years in IT support, Linux wouldn't have appeared so different / difficult?
Cheers, T i m

Would you be happy building a house using "trial-and-error" or doing any other major DIY project in this way? I wouldn't.

Again Linux is great for people who are prepared to learn it, not for the monkeys.

Great. But DOS/Windows is limited for DIY'ers since it's all closed source.

Of course, it's a different OS.

It does take some effort to learn, but what doesn't. You can't build Windows kernels yourself or modify the source code.