Humax PVR.

My Humax PVR (BT version) is faulty.

is there a better make?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dunno, we have Freesat so limited in choice, Humax looked the best when I first investigated.

Our old box, I forget the model, was a pile of s**te and the new one I think a 1010 is on the fritz and apparently needs theh HD removing and reformatting.

They need to up their game.

Reply to
R D S

(What's wrong, HDD, Caps)

Panasonic and Sony traditionally used to be a fashionable brand names to choose, when folks were bamboozled by specifications and sales people.

Which rated them most highly, they were the Apple's of their day.

... and having been given a Panasonic DVR DMR-HWT250EB, I'd stay well away from that idea. The interface is crap, usability a lot worse than YouView.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I'm on my third PVR. The first may have been something else, the second and third are Humaxes and have been OK, but the older one is less user friendly.

Reply to
newshound

If you want a better make buy your own Freesat box as that is what I did last year.

I bought a Mutant HD with twin tuners from here:

RobH

If you're using it with Freesat and want the EPG there don't seem to be any competitors at all.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I've had a DMR-HWT130 for over 4 years. The interface isn't as good as as my old and defunct Humax (9200T), and is a bit slow, but the Panasonic has one advantage over other makes I tried. Reliability. And I had a Humax YouView about 5 years ago; the PVR side was crap with far less functionality than the 9200T (or the Panasonic). Fortunately it started playing up inside its guarantee period and went back to JL for a refund, where I replaced it with the Panasonic.

It really doesn't matter how good the interface is if the damn machine doesn't work!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I'm running an Extrend ET10000 with OpenVix and have no problems getting a Freesat 7 EPG over the air.

All the manufacturers on the following link make boxes that can run the OpenVix software (image)

alan_m

Thanks, I was unaware of the open source alternative. Well worth knowing, although I will probably stick to available consumer appliances which work out of the box.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I stuffed a DVB-S card in my server and connected the TV as a f****ng big monitor.

As long as the video card is reasonable a gash PC and a satellite card makes a very good set top box

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I found a DIY system using plex and a HD Homerun network connected tuner works well. If you already have a PC or nas to provide the storage its a much cheaper and more flexible system than a dedicated PVR, since recordings can be played back anywhere.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yea, I have the OpenVix software on my Mutant HD box, and it gives me picture in picture, a very good epg with recording any program, which is dead simple to do.

Reply to
RobH

It refuses to connect to my LAN. (My version is cable only - no Wi-Fi) My router says it is connected, and the page in the STB for manual connection shows all the correct settings. I've checked the outlet with my laptop, and that's fine.

A quick look round the usual suppliers only seems to find Humax these days.

Wish I could buy a modern Toppy. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got one of those. And if there was ever a confusing GUI, it gets my vote for the very worst.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only want it for FreeView.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you don't mind using a keyboard and mouse to access things. Some would prefer a simple remote control for such a basic device.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The Linux receivers are more flexible in the way that they can be configured but are more complex to set up. Daily operation is quite simple. New boxes run quicker and have more memory than the old ones, and are also much cheaper. Some can have terrestrial as well as satellite tuners.

Reply to
Michael Chare
<snip>
+1

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Both offer Panasonic PVRs. I think that Sony is only available online, such as from Amazon.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Recent occurrence, or has it never worked?

Three suggestions.

  1. Bypass the router DNS, use google DNS settings instead.
8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

  1. Does the IP it says it has configured as ping from another PC?

  2. Try using a static IP address instead of DHCP?

  1. Bin it. Ethernet interface shot or firmware corrupt.

I think your one is quite old, one of the first? (DTR-1000?).

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz