GREEN screen on Humax PVR on powerup

Someone posted a query about this not too long ago, and I don't recollect anyone coming up with an explanation...

While investigating a different issue I came across this thread :-

Andrew

Hummys have Linux Inside, they are unlikely to "Green Screen"

black and white gobbledegook is much more likely]

tim

Reply to
tim...

When software goes t*ts up and writes garbage to devices anything is possible.

The blue screen of death was when the software was working but didn't know how to fix the problem.

Same with panics on unix.

I had the first blue screen in about 3 years yesterday. Someone has screwed up the drivers for the IDE/SATA controller and introduced a race condition somewhere that causes my HP laptop to blue screen unless its running Cura 4.0. Removing the driver update fixes the problem.

Reply to
dennis

Green screen from Humax PVRs is just a sign that HDMI handshaking has failed AFAIK. Nothing to do with a "green screen of death".

Reply to
Max Demian

Interesting forum link, thanks!

Reply to
mechanic

Windows 7 since a recent update seems to be very prone to blue screen if a usb is a bit dodgy or somebody moves a device from one usb to another at certain times but not others. Had me going a while, Since the drivers are the same goodness knows what Windows update has done. I hope its sorted this month. These things happen due to the complexity of hardware and software variability's!

Luckily you can reboot at which point it has no idea its had an issue, so amnesia is also a symptom! As for PVRs most of my issues have usually been power supply related. Indeed stbs in general seem to suffer from naff power supplies or their connections or the capacitors inside them. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They do show a plain green screen, because mine does.

At powerup, it sometimes shows this initial green screen for about a second, then back to black with 'hdmi' flashing around the monitor for a couple of seconds and then the live tv picture appears.

Reply to
Andrew

In my case probably caused by switching on the monitor after bringing the HD-FOX-T2 out of standby then.

Reply to
Andrew