Plinth for shower tray

I am thinking of making a raised end to the bathroom about 1650 long (the end of the bathroom where the bath is currently) by 700mm wide - to accomodate a walk in shower tray of 1000 x 700 to raise it to a height where the waste can be above the top of the joist (as it is now from the bath).

I envisage this being a better solution than putting the shower tray on risers and will make entering a bit easier.

The current floor is tongue and groove.I am thinking the way would be to screw down some wooden spacers and overlay it with a waterproof board (what) and then fit tray and tile the exposed part.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I did exactly that some years ago, the alternative being to make a new hole through the external wall below floor level and fit a new waste into the outside soil stack. Not sure how high you want it but don't be tempted to make a 6" step by laying 6"x 2" timber on edge. You might give yourself an eternally leaking shower tray like I did. The timber shrinks when it is dry, so the shower leaks, so the timber expands, then dries etc.ad infinitum. TW

Reply to
TimW

You appreciate what I want then. Any suggestions for materials? I just think a step up and then into the shower is better than just a step p straight into the shower. Possibly also marks a separate space for drying.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

TimW snipped-for-privacy@mysurname.me.uk> wrote in news:qapno7$f4b$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

The centre line of the current waste from the bath is about 2.25 inches above the floor boards. I could make is a bit lower but I do not want to interfer with the joist bnelow the floor (Not just because of integrity but is also seems to have a lot of cables clipped to it)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I did the same in another house but used 4 (I think) lengths of 6x2 with waterproof chipboard on top, then a ceramic shower base. I tiled to the base, silicone'd the joints and pressed a quadrant extrusion into the wet silicone, then silicone'd the edges of the quadrant (hurrah for Fugenboys). It worked very well and there were no leaks to the time that the house was sold.

Reply to
nothanks

So well done. my rebuilt shower tray never leaks and is supported by a simple framework of 2"x2" screwed together with plenty of gripfill to take up any wobble. tw

Reply to
TimW

What would be the ideal way of building the plinth?

Reply to
DerbyBorn