Silicone sealing tiles to shower tray - leave a nominal 2mm gap of more?

As ye title suggest...

is it best to stop the tiles 6mm higher than the tray and silicone a nice thick bead (installation guidance always says thicker is better)

OR

tile space the bottom row up 2mm off the tray and silicone seal a 6mm fillet along the face?

And colour..

red tiles, white tray..... clear or white sealant?

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

What I did was to leave a 6mm'ish gap, once the silicone in this had cured I bedded a guadrant molding in silicone over the top - worked well and avoids too much of a water/mold trap

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

What is the quadrant made of? Can you get rubber/silicone beads?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

There are plastic and metal ones - any tile dealer will have them hanging-up with the edging strips and listellos

Reply to
NoSpam

In article , Cordless Crazy writes

I'd say 5 or 6mm.

The logic is that silicone has a limit to its elasticity and say 0.5mm of movement on 2mm is 25% whereas the same on 6mm is only 8%. Less stretching makes for a more reliable seal.

Hmmn, an interesting choice, what's the grout colour?

Reply to
fred

Am looking at a smoke grey, therefore me thinks the clear/transluscent one would be better.

Will go for a 5mm gap, once cured will then do a 6mm fillet.

Have also pumped the tapering 5mm gap between the tray and the no-more-ply wall with good grade silicone as an extra over measure. Buggered if water thinks it is getting thro that once all installed!

Reply to
Cordless Crazy

In article , Cordless Crazy writes

I think you're right, white might look a bit intense.

Reply to
fred