shower tray gap

I am still (yes still!) working on my bathroom project. I now have a stone shower tray and need to lay it on a suspended floor. The conventional wisdom seems to be to lay it on marine ply with a layer of mortar mix on top. My question is: Surely this will raise the edge of the tray 2 or 3 cm leaving a gap. Is this correct? If so, what is the best way to fill the gap? Thanks for any responses.

Reply to
kent

In article , kent writes

Sorry - am I missing something?

When I did ours I laid the marine ply and then bedded the shower tray on a generous layer of mortar and walked around on it until level!

Before I did that, however I did cut away tiles and plaster so tray went back into the "tile line" - no gaps there.

Do you mean the gap around the base of the tray? If so you can put some skirting board or, as I did, some UPVc soffit board with a line of sealant to stop water going down the back.

Reply to
John

Yes, meant the gap around the base. Thanks for your suggestion.

Reply to
kent

Forgot to say that it is a quadrant tray so it is a curved gap!

Reply to
kent

I have a quadrant tray - hence the uPVC soffit board which (with application of a hair dryer) bends nicely to follow the curve. I screwed it (with brass screws and cups) into the ply so it followed the curve.

Reply to
John

This is what I previously posted about my two quadrant type shower trays, both on floors with Karndean flooring:

Both my Matki "stone resin" trays are on 18mm ply. In both cases, I've cut it carefully to size using jigsaw (I guess a router would be much neater) and the edge is painted gloss white to match the tray. I've managed to slip in a bit of white silicone as well.

I've fitted Karndean flooring in both cases, and that sits on 6mm ply, which is itself cut round the same shape. So, the amount of 18mm ply edge sticking up above the finished floor surface isn't that much.

On the first one I fitted some PVC soft flexible bath sealant strip:

the second one I didn't bother:

'm happy with the result.

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

Excellent results! Thanks. My "project" has moved on! I've now realised that my shower tray outlet lies immediately above a joist so I don't think I'll have any option but to put it on a platform.

Reply to
kent