Replaced shower valves and seat - still leaks

I have an older 3-handle system in my bathroom shower: hot, diverter, cold. The water was never quite shutting off all the way - more than a drip, slightly less than a constrant stream. I took the handles off, pulled the valve stem out and took it to Home Depot and matched it perfectly. I took them home and removed the valve seat, put the new valve seat in (I couldn't get the hot water valve seat out but it looked pretty good so I left it), put the new valve stems/bodies in and there's no change. I turned the water on to each handle one at a time and they both still leak. If it was just the one with the old valve seat I could maybe see it but the new one is just as bad.

Any ideas on :

  1. what I might've done wrong (going to HD notwithstanding]
  2. how to fix ?

Thanks, p@

Reply to
p.mcmhn

Did you apply sealant to the seat threads? If not, even a perfect seat will leak. I don't like Teflon tape in this application; too hard to wrap and be sure it's on there. A good pipe dope is better.

The hot side is the seat that usually goes; I would change it too,.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Aha. I'll get some pipe dope and apply. I'll work harder to get the hot side seat out.

Thanks

Reply to
p.mcmhn

Reply to
Don Young

You didn't say where it leaks. If it drips from the spout then as Jim suggested, seal the threads on the seat. We are also assuming there is a washer on the end of the new stem.

Now, if the leak is from behind the handle then you have a problem with the packing. You can get some graphite packing and wrap the stem and then tighten up the stem nut.

Reply to
No

It's not from behind the handle - it's down the spout. Yes, the stem came with a new washer.

Thanks.

Reply to
pat.mcmahon