Shower Tray

Working on ideas for replacing bath with a shower.

  1. The waste pipe exits the bathroom a few inches above floor level.
  2. Lowering the waste may not be a good option.
  3. I fancy a "walk in" concept with a long tray - with a bit of floor beyond. Maybe a 1200/ 1400 long tray in place of the 1700 long bath.
  4. What are thoughts on tray on legs versus building a raised false floor where the bath had been to accomodate a tray and a dry step-in area? Would this be more solid?
Reply to
DerbyBorn

"Walk-in" is nice, until you have drain problems which is when having it up on a raised plinth with a removable panel at the front is a huge boon.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

May not? or is not?

Are you ok with a step up to it?

Doing your own plinth will leave you a much wide range of shower trays to choose from. Also you can use a nice solid stone resin tray which are much quieter in operation, and feel solid under foot.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks - that is encouraging.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

John Rumm snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

It would need a hole boring through a joist - which also carries a few cables. It would need alterations to the outside stack to accomodate a lower waste. I would definately need a tray with a drain on the short edge otherwise several joists would need boring.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It would not be very high. Maybe 4 inches. My wife has wanted this for ages

- she currently has a (diabetic related) foot problem and cannot weight bear. Hopefully this will be resolved in a few months - but is spurring me into action as a seat in a shower would help.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

+1. Alternatively, if you really can't connect to a lower part of the stack (drop through the ceiling below and box-in the pipe?), then maybe a shower waste pump would be worth investigating.
Reply to
nothanks

No - going through the ceiling (lounge) would not be something I would want to do. I suppose going lower on the stack with a collar is possible.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

You can get shower waste pumps that will pump uphill, so they can be installed higher than the shower tray. Not that I would really recommend relying on machinery unnecessarily.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Ah, ok that's not going to be a problem normally... even if you add on the height of the rim of the tray.

(I quite like a traditional "deep" tray rather than the modern ultra shallow ones, since when the long haired women of the house clog the drain, you get a bit more warning before it overflows!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, a strap boss is an easy way to get another connection to a soil stack.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1 :-)
Reply to
JoeJoe

And with a blanking plug, a way to deal with the redundant hole in the stack...

Reply to
Jim K..