Fascia for raised shower tray?

A search of google groups turned up this previous thread...

'm also looking for a way to decorate the exposed timber framework of a stud shower tray platform. As did the OP of the above thread, I also considered using either a mosaic tile or a length of extruded uPVC.

To fit in with my wall and floor tiles, I would need to find a suitable 'natural stone' style of mosaic, or perhaps a plain glass type, which might work. However, I'm not keen on mosaics and I'm worried they might spoil the otherwise clean lines I have maintained throughout the rest of the design.

As for using uPVC, to hide the stud work, and replicate the curavture of the shower tray directly above, I think that by adding another layer of "white", as deep again as the tray face, would be too much and would make the whole thing look 'bottom-heavy', giving the appearance of the shower tray being about 8-10" deep, if you know what I mean?

So, as asked by the original OP, can anyone suggest any inspired alternatives?

One I had was to use some stainless steel, but again, this might be too big a strip of that material, and the result may still be overpowering!

thanks for any ideas.

deano.

Reply to
deano

How about following whatever's on the adjacent walls - tiles? skirting? around the front of the shower? - probably on a removable panel to permit access underneath.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I did this recently on a shower tray mounted on 6x2 studs and then fixed 7 inch taurus skirting to cover the studs. It just covers the bottom quarter inch of the shower tray which I sealed with bathroom quality silicone then painted the skirting white. It looks pretty natural.

> I'm also looking for a way to decorate the exposed timber framework of

Reply to
NTL News Groups

One solution I have used on quadrant trays in the past was to cut some of the floor tiles into strips about 2" wide, and then tile round the curve using these.

I created a base to tile on by using thin ply, screwed and packed where necessary to match the curve of tbe tray, but taking care to keep the ply surface a constant distance back from the vertical face of the tray. The tiles then sit "under" the lip such that their front surface is level with the face of the tray. Finally "grouted" the whole lot with white silicone. (these were charcoal / marble effect tiles).

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks, but not an option I can use really.

The walls are tiled right down to the floor tiles, there is no skirt. Also, the wall tiles are very large... 450x250mm, or thereabout, and I have set these in a brick pattern.

I d> deano wrote:

Reply to
deano

Thanks, but as I explained to Lobster, I don't have skirting in the room and, even if I did, my shower tray is a quadrant, which means it's radiused, not square, and I wouldn't be able to wrap a length of skirt around it. At least not without lots of back-cutting or steaming of the raw wood, prior to wrapping around the arc of the tray.

Thanks anyhow, for your reply.

d.

NTL News Groups wrote:

deano

Thanks John.

I like the sound of this idea and can visualise how it would look.

I'm very pleased with how the room currently looks and I'm reluctant to introduce any new materials into the scheme. I have plenty of the wall tiles left and can easily cut strips from them, with my newly bought wet tile saw. I also like the idea that the wall to floor juncture would be the same around the entire room if this method was used.

I think you've solved it for me.

Much thanks, deano.

Reply to
deano