shower cubicle threshold....

Refurbing a shower cubicle made of 3 stud walls & one solid block wall...

Has a very nice framed glass door that sits on a threshold approx 5 inches wide. partly over the shower tray edge, partly on the sole plate of one stud wall...

Unsurprisingly the tiling used here has let water through to the timbers below...

Pondering other options for the threshold - any thoughts anyone?

Been looking at upvc profiles (fascia boards, trims etc) wondering if that might do the trick? What are they like to cut/rout(e)?? I'd need a rolled edge inside the cubicle where the upvc meets the top surface of the tray...

Tia for any thoughts on any of it

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

They cut ok with a fine toothed handsaw, and plane nicely with a power plane (giving a surprising buttery smell IME), I'd expect them to route OK if you could find one that had enough solid PVC (rather than foam core) to take the cuts.

Reply to
Andy Burns

uPVC isn't very tough though is it. It's imagine it will get all scuffed and scruffy fairly quickly

Reply to
chris French

Open to other ideas ;-)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

That sounds like 4 walls, where is the door?

A photo might help...

Reply to
John Rumm

ah!

the door is on the 5th side (the tray is not rectangular it has a corner "c ut off" so is a 5 sided polygon?) this is where the door is...

no photo as yet but here goes:-

the tray is mounted on the floorboards (chipboard) so there's a step up (of abt 85mm) onto the lip of the tray.

I expect the tray was plonked in the corner of the room (one solid wall & 1 studwall) then the other 3 stud walls built around it - leaving an appropr iate(ish) hole for a nice hinged glass door and associated frame.

Above the door is a little more stud walling up to bathroom ceiling.

Between the studs that form the doorway, at the bottom, a lump of wood will be fashioned (by me) to slope gently down to the tray outer edge so that w hen "tiled" or upvc'd or whatever water is guided back into the shower tray .

from the finished plastered wall surface on the outside of the wall to the top inner edge of the tray - IOW the problem area that needs "tiling" - is abt 650mm wide by 125mm.

the bottom section of the door frame will then fix onto/through this slight ly sloped "tiled" surface, with the "tiles" then showing on both the inside & outside of the door frame by abt 2 inches each (depending on exactly whe re the doorframe is finally located within the depth of the stud wall)

the previous construction failed at the base of the door and the old timber s were pretty damp & grotty - so I'm hoping for ideas/inspiration on what e lse I could use to "tile"/line the slope under the door frame.

Chipboard floor, stud walls, shower tray, all meet here so no great surpris e that the old (tiled) attempt failed...

phew :>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

So not likely to take direct foot fall, this threshold will be stepped over? As some one mentioned the uPVC facia stuff isn't very tough but it might be good enough for this. It does have the advantage of a moulded lip on one edge but if you have to cut the other edge I'm not sure what you could do about that. If you have solid stuff and can make a good clean cut and finish(*) that w9uld be OK but the foam cored stuff? Maybe a bit of plastic angle over it, siliconed on?

(*) Surprised to hear it power planes OK, presumably a very fine cut and taken slowly to prevent melting.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Mostly just taking 1mm or so off the end of cills to square them up for glueing the ends pieces in, but have also taken 3mm at a time off trim pieces where I was running along a 2m length reasonably quickly ... no melting.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's all mine is. but its fine so far

Possibly because I want to great trouble to seal the tray and beef up the floor rigidity with the bath panelling BEFORE I tiled and fitted the glass panels..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mmm except your tray is elevated off the floor & has no threshold except the tray itself....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

feels spacious provided you're a dwarf?