Planning Tile layout in a shower room

Hi,
I'm going to be replace a complete en-suite shower room and would just like to confirm my thoughts re the wall tiling.
I will be tiling 3 complete walls prior to the installation of the WC and basin.
I was planning on installing the shower tray first and using the top of the tray as my reference for a full tile around the 3 walls. The height of the tray is probably about 10-15cm so I thought that going up from the skirting/floor would leave a cut tile above the tray which may not look too good. I of course intend to batten around the room and tile up from that and then fill in the section below.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Andy

Regardless of how you do it you need to use a level to get a level line ,normally one tile MAXIMUM above the lowest part being tiled and fix a batten around that line and tile on to the batten then work your way up and fit the lowest line of tiles last . I would suggest not using anything else as a reference for a level as you must get that first line of tiles truly level otherwise everything will go pear shaped .
Stuart

Didn't quite understand the last point - 'anything else' as in? Doesn't really matter what point the level starts at, as long as the tiling fits in sensibly.
Re the OP's point - I think I'd consider how level the skirting is - will you need to cut lots of tiles to fit anyway, or does it appear to be pretty level and would most tiles fit if whole tile? if the latter what sort of cut would you end up with at the shower tray. I agree i wouldn't want a small strip along the bottom, but say a half tile would be ok I think , if it saved having to cut all the bottom tiles around the room.
What size tiles are they?
--
Chris French

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 00:02:46 +0100, chris French

What I meant ...but probably didnt explain it very well...was not to trust anything other than a line based on using a spirit level ....but thats just for the level of the tiles .Setting them out so they look sensible is another matter altogether .
Stuart
Stuart wrote:

Seconded. Don't trust anything to be level except a level.