Correct order to fit a bathroom and then tile?

I'm having a new bathroom fitted with an over the bath shower (thermostatic mixer valve) and want to tile the walls and floor. As I've had problems in the past with the seal between the bath and the tiles, I've been told to fit the bath first and then tile the walls so that the tiles are resting on the bath edge, that way if the sealant ever fails the water from the shower will (hopefully) not drip out of the bath and into the floor below. I've also been told that to make the tiling easier and to avoid having to fit tiles around awkward shapes like the WC, I should fit all the pipework, then I should tile the walls and floor (tiling around the pipes sticking out of the wall) and then I should fit the WC, sink, shower and shower screen. I'm intending therefore to fit the bathroom in this order:

1) Fit bath 2) Fit pipework for WC, sink and shower. 3) Tile walls and floor 4) Fit WC, and cistern, sink, shower and shower screen.

As this is my first bathroom can anyone offer advice, is this the best order to fit everything?

Reply to
Brian

My order =

Fith bath, sink, big etc, with 10mm plywood between items and walls. Plumb it all in. Remove batch, sink etc Tile Refit bath, now without the 10mm plywood spaces, as the tiles have filled in the place wher the spaces were.

I tile walls behind the sink, and foor under the bog. I don't tile behind the bath, so here I leave out the spacers, work out where the tiles start 1 row up from the bath, and attach a batton to tile to. Then I refit bath, fill with water, and tile to it, using those plastic waterproofer strips.

This way works for me, they are probably 100 differernt ways.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

One good tip, fill the bath with water prior to applying the sealant. That way, any 'give' will be on your side, if you follow my drift.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang