Tilling Shower Cubicle

I am having to re tile a portion of my shower cubicle which leaked. I have replaced the lower section of damp plaster board with Aquaboard. I was wonder whether it was worth using bath trim for the joint between the bottom of the tiles and the shower tray, or just a bead of silicon. If I use the trim what do I do at the inner corner, just cut at 45 degress and lots of silicon? Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Reply to
steve.jones

Good move - showers always have problems with the odd bit of water seepage through dodgey sealant, or a failing grout line - if not now, it will happen eventually.

Can't comment on the trim but for silicone, I would:

a) Clean out and re-silicone the tray to the panel.

b) Tile (use water resistant adhesive rated for domestic showers) and a good grout - powder mix is better than readymix IME. Leave a 4mm gap between tiles and tray and rake out any grout thet gets in here to the full depth

c) Pump the tile-tray joint full. It matters little what sort of bevel you use as long as there is a good plug of silicone in there. I like radius beads, others like the 45 degree flat finish. Ultimately having a deep plug of silicone will give strenght and long life to the joint even if the suface finish deteriorates a bit.

It's when you apply a surface bead only (to a tight tile-tray joing) that the problems happen (ie cheap fitting job where they forgot to leave a gap between tile and tray or tile and bath). Should you end up in this position, then I would be tempted to investigate the trim option - but a nice bead of silicone looks neater IMHO.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks, that all makes good sense

Reply to
steve.jones

Use the trim that fits under the bottom tile (is actually tiled over) and juts out over the tray. Fill the trim with decent quality silicone

- not the cheapy universal stuff. For the corner, mitre, as you say.

Reply to
grimly4