Advice on tiling and showers ? plz

Is it best to tile a wall first and then abutt the shower tray up to the tiles. Or install shower tray up to plastered wall then apply the tiles so the edge of the tiles are on top of it.

Apart from sili sealant, how can I ensure a 100% leakproof joint. My experience of baths, is that over a couple of years or so they leak.

Also tray waste only comes with one large rubber washer, which side of the waste does it go, between the big nut and the tray, or tray and top of waste ??

Reply to
spender

Tray first. Silicone everywhere to seal, then tiles sitting around 2 mm above shower tray.

Good quality sanitary silicone. Put a big weight in the shower tray when you do the final seal between tiles and tray. When you do a line of tiles, rub in the cement along the top/back edge of the tiles as you go along, to stop and water running down the back of the tiles if the grout cracks.

Bottom. Use LSX between both joints too. It is better than silicone.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Tiles over tray.

sell it. It goes along the edge of the bath/tray & you tile over it.

Usually the former. As Alan said, LS-X is your friend.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I always chop the plaster out to suit the hight of the shower tray, under the waste some plumbers mait then fix in tray, washer tighten up and trim the surplus mait off under waste. then fix tray in position, seal with silicon between tray and wall, then tile, fit the shower cubicle then seal between tile and tray and wall and cubicle. simples.

Reply to
A Plumber