Flat uPVC fascia board in black?

Short version:

a. is there such a thing as a 150mm flat PVC replacement fascia board in black? b. if not, do I stand much if any chance of cutting the "lip" off one of the ordinary boards in order to make it "flat"?

Fuller version:

I'm replacing Victorian fascia boards which were fixed flat to the wall - i.e. no soffit. (Fun weather to do it but needs must - and the old board came off yesterday in easily managed chunks thanks to this group pointing me to the PMF180 a while back.)

I want PVC as I'm getting too old to remove gutters and slap on more Sadolin every few years. I can find suitable boards in white but they'd look awful with the roof and black gutter. I can't for the life of me find a *flat* board in black. All the black boards come with a lip which is far too big to fit. And I can't practicably pack out the rafters to accommodate the lip 'cos then the gutter would be too far out from the roof.

I would settle for fitting flat white PVC board for strength and then thin black "capping". But the black capping I've found also has a big lip.

I'm hoping my Googling has gone awry and someone can point me to a flat black board.

If not, only idea I'm left with is to try cut the lip off of ordinary boards. I've only an ancient B&D 5" circular saw. Happy to buy a better saw if that'd do the job. But I'm unclear how I could make a straight cut along 5m of fairly wobbly board.

Reply to
Robin

Yes:

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Thanks Alan but I see those are 9mm and sold as soffit boards. I've been told (by suppliers and local merchants) that soffit boards like that would be too thin without a backing board (even if I doubled them up); and that I really need the 16mm or 18mm boards designed to replace the fascia. Was that duff advice pl?

Reply to
Robin

I wouldn't fix guttering to 9mm soffit boards. They do black 16mm facia if you click on the left hand menu.

Reply to
dennis

Yes, thanks. But it all appears to have the "lip" (typically 16mm or more) which is designed to support a soffit board and which would make the fascia stand too far off the wall for my roof. I'm really after a flat board like for example the one at the top of

but in black

Given the number of Victorian terraces with fascias fitted like this to the back I feel I must be missing something. But at least it's an excuse to be a here rather than up the ladders - albeit it's a balmy -1 C in this heat island :)

Reply to
Robin

You could cut the lip off.

Reply to
dennis

The lip is easily cut off with a hand saw by laying the saw flat on the back of the board and using that as a guide. The cut edge is hidden against the wall and you don't reduce the width of the board.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Use white.

There's a reason why black isn't popular and that is because it expands and warps too much in summer.

If needs be, replace the gutteriing in white too, although black gutter on white fascias looks good to me, and millions of others, judging by the amount of it I see every day.

Reply to
Phil L