Re-Tiling shower cubicle

As per subject,

Some water has managed to get behind some tiles and consequently has "upset" the plasterboard, which has led to several of the tiles falling off, the tiles are "minging", so replacing them is no big deal, however:

Should I:

a) remove all tiles, and all plasterboard, replace with wickes Aquaboard, then tile.

b) make good damaged plasterboard area, then tile over existing tiles,

c) remove all tiles, make good damaged plasterboard with aquaboard, then tile.

d) other (please specifiy)

Also is there any difference between bog standard water-resistance grout (unmixed), compared to ready-mixed (twice the price) water-resistant with added anti-mould stuff.

TIA

Jon

Reply to
jon

Sorry - not a DIY response, but hopefully may be helpful.

I had exactly the same problem, but being a rented house, so the landlord paid someone I found on word of mouth recommendation.

(Orig> As per subject,

If the plasterboard has bowed, it'll need replacing. My tiler just replaced with more plasterboard, but a water resistant backing board would ensure a second line of defence in the future.

Personally I wouldn't - ordinary tile adhesive isn't going to stick well to glazed tiles. Maybe there's some fancy adhesive that will, but it's a bit of a bodge. Also, if you had any other lesser leaks in other areas, the rest of the tiles will be suspect as mine were - with black mould behind and impaired bond.

That's what he did (except used new plasterboard) and it seems fine.

Unfortunately I wasn't around when he actually did the grouting - but he said he used a mould/water resistant grout. Wasn't epoxy, but it was apparently one up from the basic stuff.

He took 3 1/2 days to do the job.

Day 1, strip tiles, cut out and replace one wall of cubicle, and a 2x2 foot bit around the mixer that was comprised of bits of wood and crap glued together (thank you Crest). Put up 2/3 tiles, the bulk of the large areas.

Day 2 - all the fiddly cuts (quite a lot of tiles).

Day 3 - Grout and get/fit replacement door which was knackered (probably less than a full day).

Day 4 - Polish and silicone seal (couple of hours or so).

He was very fast so if it were me, (having done tiling in the past) I'd be looking at 3-4 times as long at least.

Hire/buy a good tile cutter - will make the fiddly cuts easier and quicker.

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Thanks Tim,

did as you suggested, pulled of all the tiles, cut out all the bowed plaster board, fitted new plasterboard, skimmed it and any other little bits with multi-finish plaster. Hopefully it will be ready to tile tommorow.

As an aside, how much where you charged, I'm doing this for a friend and have charged £100 for exactly the same work as you've decribed above, the price also includes all adhesive, plastering stuff, grout, etc.

Jon

Reply to
jon

Wow - you don't waste time. Skimming - one thing I can't do. Really must learn sometime. Did you teach yourself and if so, any tips (good books, videos etc)?

I didn't see the final bill, but I saw the initial quote which was about 500 quid, including about 80-odd quid worth of tiles, misc parts. Would have been a bit more when he found the door was not re-usable. So about 400 in labour. This is Kent, so for 3+ days work that's actually quite fair.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Yes.

Use a decent adhesive, not the tat they sell in the DIY shops.

Ardex-Flex 6001

a decent grout, not the tat they sell in the DIY shops. Ardex-Flex FS
suggested products are certified for use in outdoor swimming pools (i.e. underwater and freezing conditions). They cope with domestic showers admirably and should last decades.

You'll need to interrogate the website to find local distributors, but it is well worth it if you don't want to be repeating this job in 20 years' time.

Christian.

Reply to
cmcardle75