Silicone on a shower cubicle: application?

Howdy

It's time to replace the silicone round the bottom of our shower cubicle, as it's come away at one end and leaks seep out on to the floor. (Goodness knows how long it's been going on.)

The shower was installed (very well indeed) by professionals more than

15 years ago.

So .. I'm busy removing the old bead, just the one round the bottom of the cubicle, on the outside.....

I've noticed that there's no bead on the *inside* of the cubicle: is there some kind of 'professional' reason for not doing that? Personally, belt and braces, I'd have put one inside and outside.

(Of course) there *is* a bead round the bottom of the cubicle on the two sides where tiles meet shower-tray, but not on the two sides where the glass cubicle meets the tray.

Any enlightening comments welcomed - ta.

John

Reply to
Another John

When I bought and fitted a cubicle, the instructions stated that no sealant should be applied to the inside of the base of the cubicle.

Reply to
Mr Fuxit

bottom of

where the

+1 Lawrence
Reply to
Lawrence

+another one
Reply to
Huge

Think this is the norm. I assume it is because it provides somewhere for water that does get into the frame to drain away - otherwise there would be a long term pool of increasingly suspect % probably maloderous water trapped in the frame.

HTH

Chris K

Reply to
Chris K

And another. I have fitted four cubicles in the last five years. All of them came with instructions that stated no sealant on the inside.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ohhhh bugger .... unanimous then.

Well I'll let you all know the reason why in a few months, perhaps: no replies came in yesterday while I was preparing the job, and since it's the kind of job I hate doing, and I was in mid-flow, and it seemed such a "no brainer" to silicone the inside as well .... I did.

Wonder what'll happen?

Cheers boys. What a shame I was so impatient -- never have I seen such a simply unanimous reply in D-I-Y!

John

Reply to
Another John